Roadtrip: 4 Laptops

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MasonS247, Jun 12, 2007.

1. MasonS247 macrumors newbie

I am going to bring 4 laptops along with me on a road trip. Two are PC laptops and two are Mac laptops. I want to play Starcraft with some friends, but I do not know how I am going to connect all of them together to play Starcraft.

We will not have the internet, and we will not be able to bring a router/hub. I was thinking of connecting them through USB or serial, but I could only connect 2 computers together.

How can I link all of these computers together?

2. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

A router would be the simplest way... if you can bring one, I'd go that route. If power is the issue in the car, you can get AC/DC converters to fix that.

Otherwise, you could try creating a LAN using a combination of USB and crossover ethernet cables... but there's no guarantees that would work.

3. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

4. MasonS247 thread starter macrumors newbie

If everyone had Wifi could we all connect somehow without an access point?

5. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

You should be able to create an Ad-Hoc wireless network, actually, using one of the computers. I always forget the obvious things ;-)

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

4 Laptops on a roadtrip, woah.

Manually input an IP for each computer. Turn on your WiFi on each computer and then setup one computer as a server for Starcraft and everyone can connect to that server.

This is the way I would approach it, but I am not sure if it will work or not. Don't see any reason why not.