Roaming charges in Canada for US iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HiRez, Nov 22, 2009.

1. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Hi, I have a US-based AT&T iPhone, and I'm taking a trip which will send me through Canada for a time. Am I going to get hit up with obscene roaming charges if I leave my iPhone connected (ie. not in Airplane Mode)? I've heard stories about people who travel internationally with their iPhones, claim they never even did anything other than have it on, and get these crazy $25,000 (or whatever) bills. How can I be sure that's not going to happen to me? Do I need to keep the phone in Airplane Mode the whole time I'm in Canada?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Turn data roaming off. The few times I've been abroad and had roaming off, I've never been hit with data charges.

You will have to pay for any incoming phone calls though, even if you don't answer it and let it go to voicemail. People knew I was out of the country so I only got a couple calls so my bill wasn't high.

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Mist of this was before apple had the Disable data roaming switch. Still make sure you turn of fetch, push notifications and any other thing that would pull data over the cellular network. Also look at roaming plans, roaming in Canada is allot cheaper than roaming in italy with AT&T...still notnwhat most would like though.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

When you turn DR off, push and any other fetch things you have set won't work, there's no need to turn them off.

5. HiRez thread starter macrumors 603

HiRez

I won't be in Canada long enough to need a rental, just passing through (airports). Thanks for the tips.

6. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

are you serious? It doesn't matter if the iPhone was created with the hands of Jesus, if he's on AT&T, and he's roaming in Heaven, he's getting roaming charges.

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Keep the phone on airplane mode all the way through then, since you won't need it long.