Roaming Network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by akp123, Dec 28, 2014.

1. akp123 macrumors newbie

I understand a little about the roaming networks, but I don't know enough to answer my questions. I just got a new Time Capsule (because I wanted the TC part), but I have my circa 2008 AEBS that is unused. Before I decide to get rid of it, I was just wondering if there was any benefit to using it to create a roaming network. The problem is that I have only one ethernet wired connection so they would have to sit side by side in the middle of my home. I was just wondering if I would get fewer dropped wifi connections (from everyone in the house being on wifi at the same time), if I had 2 routers, rather than one. I really don't need it as an extender as the coverage is pretty good, except for in my driveway - so I could always hook it up in the garage.

Thanks!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

having them right next to each other is more likely to cause problems rather than fix them, as there's a good chance they'll interfere with each other.

you could put them on opposite sides of the room, and give the old one a different SSID, and have some devices connect to that, You'll want to be aware of the channels you use and get them as far away from each other as possible, there is a considerable amount of overlap in 2.4GHz channels. The 5GHz channels aren't as bad, but still some separation will help.

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Modern AE units can handle a fair number of simultaneous users - one of mine has 6 "always" connected, for example. So just keeping your old one for this isn't so important - IMO.

If you want to get better coverage in your driveway, then try using a PowerLine connection to your garage and connect the older unit to that. This will still give you a LAN connection for a roaming network.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

6 users is hardly a struggle unless they are all bandwidth hungry. We see sometimes 30 wireless users on the central Extreme at school which also handles the routing for the rest of the network which serves 150+ users.

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Great ! So even less of a reason to keep a second unit just for load sharing.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Adding the second unit if it is not necessary would likely just complicate the setup.