Roaming off?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Chuchichan, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Chuchichan macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd like to confirm that there's no possibility of my iPhone roaming and me being charged while abroad.

I've confirmed in settings under "general" and "network" that "Enable 3G" and "Cellular Data" are both off. Are there any other settings that I need to turn off.

I'm a little concerned because I'm receiving messages (not emails) still. I haven't sent any out though. I'm also concerned because the local carrier is being displayed in the top-left of the iPhone display. Right now it says "T-Mobile".

2. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

You can escape roaming charges just make sure you have iPhone firmware 1.1.1 and then head to

Settings >> General >> Network : turn data roaming to OFF.

3. jdaniel macrumors 65816

receiving text messages are free and not related to the data network, if cellular data is off.. he doesnt get the option to turn data roaming on and off.. everything is off.. for data.

If you dont want your phone working just switch to airplane mode.

4. Kerber0s34 macrumors member

Kerber0s34

Sorry to hijack your thread. I'm leaving for Spain tomorrow and had a voice roaming package added to my phone to make / receive calls while there.

When I called my carrier (Fido) they stated that even with data roaming off, cellular off, and 3G off, the iPhone will STILL use data while roaming and will charge me at $30 / MB. I have roamed to the US many times with the only the Data Roaming turned off, and have never been charged for roaming data.

Is this just a case of the carrier being ultra careful and trying to avoid any issues with me being bills $1,000s in roaming charges?

5. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Whatever the case may be... if you turn CELLULAR DATA to OFF you are fine. That turns ALL DATA off.

You added on voice roaming, not data roaming right so while you are here, you have cellular data on, turn roaming off. When you leave turn cellular data off. Wifi still works.. you can turn 3g off if you like doesnt matter once cellular data is off.. its off.. u can try it here at home turn wifi off.. leave 3g on but turn off cellular data see if you can surf the web.

Attached Files:

6. Kerber0s34 macrumors member

Kerber0s34

So as long as the Data Roaming is OFF, then its not going to use cellular data no how, now way, correct?

That's pretty much what I thought, but the carrier made me nervous with stories of customers coming back with $20000 phone bills for data roaming, even with it turned off.

I'll keep the cellular data off as well just as an extra precaution.

7. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Yeah I never had an issue with roaming off only. these people usually have no idea what they are talking about..