Roaming on Unlimited Data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 2good2btru, Jun 25, 2009.

1. 2good2btru macrumors member

I'm getting my iPhone 3G S tomorrow. First time iPhone user. :D

Anyway, I'm curious about how the unlimited data works. Can I use it anywhere in the United States without getting charged for roaming? Or is it just if I leave my home town (Kennewick, WA)?

I have unlimited texting and about 1400 minutes a month on a shared family plan if that makes any difference. As far as I know, I've never been charged extra for sending texts and/or making calls when I travel. I'm wondering if the Data is the same.

Thanks for the help.

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Anywhere in the United States is free game. :)

Enjoy the iPhone.

3. 2good2btru thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! That's good to know! I heard something about people turning on and off 'Data Roaming' on their iPhones. What is this?

4. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

They turn it off in the us only to save battery, but Att has no coverage at some lakes I go to, with data roming on I get data! Which is nice.

I don't think it usedS that much bettery life.

5. 2good2btru thread starter macrumors member

So how does the Data Roaming feature work? And does it cost money when it's in use? Why wouldn't people just leave it on or off all the time, aside from the battery increase?

I don't get how you can have it off and get data in town and then when you're at the lake with no data signal, you turn it on and WABAM you automatically have Data coverage? That doesn't make sense.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I don't know about where he's going, but my understanding of data roaming is that when it's off, it won't connect to data when/if you would be charged for it, i.e. in a foreign country.

I have data roaming off, not because of battery, but because I want to have to consciously choose whether to pay for extra data, and not have it be a shock.

7. Hmm macrumors regular

Hmm

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Just remember that you have a 5GB soft cap. However, if you're only doing mobile web surfing and not tethering, you won't hit the cap--unless you're surfing 24/7.
    As long as you've got an AT&T network connection, you'll be fine. There's an option to turn off data roaming, if you're concerned about that. If you take your iPhone overseas, you'll want to make sure you have roaming off. The iPhone does a lot of background internet gathering, which can add up when you're being charged by the KB.

9. 2good2btru thread starter macrumors member

I've never heard about this "5GB cap". So it's 'unlimited data' but only to a certain point? That's ridiculous! Let's say I'm running Pandora 24/7 for a month. Will I even hit that 5GB point? I have no interest in tethering so that shouldn't matter.

What happens if I go over that 5GB limit and why did you call it a 'soft cap'?

Thanks guys! You're being such a great help!

10. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

So you can be on roaming and make calls, send SMS, and use data as long as you are in the US and no extra fees?

11. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Well, you're not roaming if you are in the States with ATT.

12. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Sometimes when I'm in a tunnel I go into roaming.

13. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

You will never hit 5GB. If you do, and if you do legimately, you will not be charged, ATT will just have your account flagged for suspicious activity. Again, you will never hit 5GB.

That person is ridiculous. He was outraged that he couldn't use data in a foreign country without being charged.

14. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

LOL, really? That's odd. I should change my statement to, "You shouldn't be roaming if you are in the States with ATT." :p

15. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Well I guess I haven't tried yet as I've only been on ATT for a week now. When I had Sprint I would go into roaming when I was in a tunnel or a place where I had no reception. Is this not the case with ATT?

16. Hmm macrumors regular

Hmm

I think his outrage was related more to not being informed that he would be charged, which might be a reason that Data Roaming defaults to "off".

17. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Kinda like the lady who spilled coffee on herself from McDonalds and sued them because she didn't know it was hot? Makes me proud to call myself an American....

18. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

No.
    I just got dinged by AT&T for "roaming" on a partner carriers data network.
    This was WITHIN the US.
    I was in north eastern Arizona on Celluar One's (AT&T partner) network for 4 days.

I come home to this email.

Now here's the kicker... I have yet to see my iPhone, or any other for that matter, display this elusive message that tells me I'm "Off Network".
    This was my argument when I called them to find out WTF they were talking about. My iPhone never notified my that I was on any carrier other than AT&T. And yes, both my iPhone and my wife's iPhone have data roaming turned off.

So just a word of caution to anyone thinking that the entire US is fair game for roaming. Voice... yes, data... no. :mad: