Roaming overseas? (Easily answerable!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mulletman13, Jun 26, 2007.

1. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Hey all!

Just looking at AT&T's site with plans and the like, I noticed they do not charge for roaming. Is this true overseas as well as places I can't get coverage?

I've been very happy with AT&T's coverage, and had no idea that roaming was free. Any help would be appreciated!

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

They definitely charge roaming when overseas.

3. mulletman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

I guess I'm confused essentially on what roaming is. As far as I know about it, it is just using other peoples' cell towers to work... so wouldn't roaming be the same thing whether it be on Rogers... or Vodafone ... or T-Mobile?

4. mpw Guest

It'd more likely they didn't allow it to roam at all rather than didn't charge, although I think it's an omission in the document you've been reading rather than either. I can't say how much it'll be, but it'll be expensive for sure.

5. PupnTaco macrumors regular

PupnTaco

I may be one of the first guinea pigs to test the iPhone overseas... I'm flying to Ireland Monday, then to London a week later with a day in Paris.

I'll report back on my return mid-July how it all went....

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Basically if the phone displays a network other ATT on it then you pay.
    Free "roaming" means to ATT that you can roam around their network without fees. It dates back to a time when roaming outside your local area would result in fees.

7. mulletman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

8. mpw Guest

Yes in application I think you're right, but some providers will not have roaming agreements with other carriers 'locally'.

For example if you're in the US and have an AT&T contract and SIM and AT&T don't have a roaming agreement with Vodafone in the US you just won't be able to use an AT&T phone where there's a gap in the AT&T signal, even if there's a nice strong Vodafone signal available. You handset probably wouldn't even acknowledge it was there. However travel to the UK, where AT&T have no network and they might have an (expensive to use) roaming agreement with Vodafone UK that you can happily see and use.