Robert Jordan has passed away...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Black&Tan, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

It is with heavy heart that I post this news. James Oliver Rigney, best known as Robert Jordan, has passed away.

http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/

I know many people share differing opinions of his work, but I will miss him. His writing opened up a new world and I would get lost for months when I would pick up his newest book and invariably decide to reread the series.

Robert Jordan, James Rigney, thank you for countless hours of wonderment and joy.

2. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I haven't been to his website in a while (currently not loading up); I was under the impression he was doing better fighting his illness. My opinion of his work aside, it's still sad.

I wonder what's going to happen with A Memory of Light - if it got finished, close to finished, if someone else is going to finish it up, etc.

3. JLatte macrumors 6502

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend."

It's too bad he never got to complete the series. Thank you for the memories, RJ.

4. CortexRock macrumors 6502

It's always sad when a great storyteller passes from this world to the next. Let's hope David Gemmell is there with Druss to welcome him on the golden path ;)

I've read either eight or nine of the Wheel of Time books, but I did find the last couple fairly hard going. If the author was fighting illness it could explain a few things, but I did start to lose track of the multiple threads running through this Labyrinthine tale!

5. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    I couldn't get in to his books to save my life, but I know a lot of folks who really enjoy them. He was obviously a talented writer, just not my cup of tea. All I know of the Wheel of Time series is that it's like thousands and thousands of pages long - was it headed toward a conclusion, or was he still somewhere in the middle of it?

George RR Martin is the same way - his Ice and Fire series is now in the multiple thousand page length and he's nowhere near done. I'd be pretty annoyed if he kicked the bucket without finishing it...

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

his storytelling will be missed, but he will be remembered because of it.
    my thoughts go out to his family.

7. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

AMOL will most likely be finished. From what I understand he was dictating the novel and a number of people were busy typing everything up. Also, he told both his wife and his brother Wilson the complete story. I daresay the novel will eventually be published, but obviously not completely written by RJ.

8. CortexRock macrumors 6502

+1 to that. I'm a huge fan of the Song of Ice and Fire... looking forward to the HBO dramatisation of it coming in 2008 as well!

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The book he was working on when he fell ill (working title A Memory of Light) was supposed to be the final huzzah. The rumors say it was/is going to be about 1,200-1,500 pages hardcover. RJ was saying he was going to tie up all of the 20 years and 5,000 or so pages worth of loose ends in this final book.

If they have to bring in a ghost writer, I wonder if we'll be able to tell where RJ stops and the ghost begins.

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Wait wait wait, WHAT?!

*Googles*

EDIT: Wow, that made me want to get cable so I can get HBO.

I'll see if I can hold off until the DVDs come out though.

11. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Not to hijack this thread, but have a look on IMDB - it's on there as a 'development project' which you can only see if you have a Pro login (not me!).

I've found out elsewhere that GRRM is closely involved in the project, and it's supposed to be one season of 24 episodes per book.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I made it through the first 9 or so books of the series, and finally lost patience with it...

Tolkien is in a different league altogether, but Jordan's books were not bad. I wonder if he finished it off in the end or no.

Edit: According to the wotmania forum, the last book has not been finished, but Jordan has dictated the plot outlines and the book will be finished by another writer or writers.

13. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It's very sad. I, too, thought he was doing better and was shocked to hear of this sudden turn for the worst. I've enjoyed his work, even if his failings as a writer irritated me at times. What impressed me most was the scope of his effort in the "Wheel of Times" series. How many others would have even attempted such a thing? If at times I felt he was in desperate need of a competent editor, I still admired the grand scale of his storytelling.

RIP Robert Jordan.

P.S. - I see there are many other fans of GRRM's "A Song of Ice and Fire" - which is often compared to Jordan's work. Perhaps it would be good to start another thread to discuss Martin's opus, but I'm glad to see there are other mac lovers who also enjoy the world of Westeros.

14. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Thread created - see you there! :D

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Great shame but so relieved he had the foresight to dictate the plot so that we're not left hanging wondering what happened. Reading - and rereading - the Wheel of Time has taken up many hours!

16. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I just happened upon the news of his death today. I'd read some of his blog, and it is very admirable not only that Robert Jordan tried his best to finish the series off, but also that he discussed and understood the guilt that his readers (myself included) might be experiencing as a result of worrying that the last book would be finished (as opposed to worrying only about his personal health). I truly believe that with his passing the world has lost one of its best storytellers.