Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amholl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Boston
Why is Plant's new single (which is very good, btw) on the iTMS, but all of Zeppelin's stuff not. Wasn't Plant their lead singer?

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
yes, he was.

The Zep stuff isn't on iTMS for basically the same reason that the Beatles catalog isn't on there.

Plant's current recording contracts and label/PRO affiliations are as such that he can release his music on iTunes, but the Zep recordings are more complicated. There is a label, 2 other surviving band members, PRO, copyright holders, and multiple other factors to consider. His new solo stuff is free of these particular strings for the most part.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
He was.. but maybe the rights for Led Zppelin aren't owned by Plant anymore, and whomever does own it doesn't want to make any money? :)

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Zep never released singles, the albums were expected to be heard as a whole, apart from contractural issues, Zep members (all 3 of them) probably don't want an individual track download happening from iTMS.

Yes, greatest band of all time, apart from the other few greatest bands that is...

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
WinterMute said:
Zep never released singles, the albums were expected to be heard as a whole, apart from contractural issues, Zep members (all 3 of them) probably don't want an individual track download happening from iTMS.

Yes, greatest band of all time, apart from the other few greatest bands that is...
Well, I guess, except for the Cadillac commercial ;)

And yes, there are a few others that are too close to call :)

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
Caddy bought the limited rights to a 30 second clip of "Rock & Roll" in like 2000 for several million dollars. It's been in almost every commercial they've done since then. Although they haven't been using it in their "5 second" series of commercials.

It's the sole exception so far to Zep's no-endorsement policies.

john82

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
was anyone here in the great reunion gig?

it was ***** awsome!!!

they're the greastest rock band ever, and they still have what it takes to give a good show even at their age today!

I hope they'll have another gig like it again, it was a once in a lifetime experience...

Johnny from guitars101

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
go out and buy all the CD's. you won't be disappointed. just rip them into itunes. also, if you're more interested, pick up the Led Zeppelin DVD, The Song Remains the Same, and How the West Was Won. that will give you some of their greatest live performances.

i wouldn't buy Mothership off of iTMS (it's on there right?) as it's kind of a dumb compilation.

BTW, you should get the "Complete studio Recordings" version. that's the newest remastering.

-the biggest Led Zeppelin fan ever

EDIT: john, you lucky SOB, how on earth did you get tickets??? i hope they tour when Robert's done with his stuff.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
was anyone here in the great reunion gig?

it was ***** awsome!!!

they're the greastest rock band ever, and they still have what it takes to give a good show even at their age today!

I hope they'll have another gig like it again, it was a once in a lifetime experience...

Johnny from guitars101

:eek: You were actually at the concert?!?! Lucky!!

Mothership is actually pretty good. The only complaint I have about it is that the put "In the Evening" on there instead of "Fool In the Rain".

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
i'd rather have "South Bound Saurez" or "Carouselambra" (yeah, i know everyone hates that one...). I like the live performance of In the Evening at Knebworth a lot better than the studio version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.