Robin Cook Dies

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Former British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook has died at the age of 59, after collapsing on a walking holiday. He was strongly opposed to the war in Iraq, resigning from the Cabinet in 2003 on the eve of the start of hostilities.

I was never a fan of Cook, but I gained a lot of respect for him after he resigned his position due to his principles and ethics. We could do with a few more politicians like that...

Link

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
am i the only one that thought that his was a PR stunt and he only really wanted to be PM latter on and get the moral kudos?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Hector said:
am i the only one that thought that his was a PR stunt and he only really wanted to be PM latter on and get the moral kudos?
Interesting thought... I suppose now we'll never know if there was any ulterior motive there. He was apparently tipped for a possible
return to Government, according to some – who knows where that could have led?

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
Hector said:
Well, thats a very tenuous way of worming your way into the PM job, especially if Gordon Brown was widely assumed to be the next PM.

I think Robin Cook was a genuine politician, and believed that his Iraq resignation was genuine.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
PlaceofDis said:
at first i thought we were talking about Robin Cook the medical-thriller novelist.... :eek:
so did i, my first reaction was "oh no one of my favorite authors T_T"

now its "oh, ok then"

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My prayers go out the the family and friends of Robin Cook. May he rest in peace.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I liked Robin Cook :(

59, what an age to go at, far too young.