Robot fish fools real fish

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Science report: A robotic spy among the fish

Researchers at the Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne in Switzerland have developed a miniature robot that can pretend to be a zebrafish, be accepted as another fish in the school, and even influence the direction the school swims. I think that's an impressive accomplishment!

Now I wonder how long it will be before humanoid robots can blend into a crowd of people and not be noticed. Once a robot can walk naturally, could it fool a crowd of us?

2. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl

Dr Q, I have walked among you for years!

3. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Aha! Are you the one whose knees keep squeaking?

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I feel like navigating a crowded city street is an extremely difficult problem, even if gait is sufficiently simulated.

5. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Not so sure about the difficulty of navigating a city street in a world with self-driving cars. But, it does make me think of Data learning to dance...

And then...

I have to think at least initially it will go something like that.

6. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Classic...show was great until they got too much political and agenda driven.

7. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I just love this thread... but when I re-read it from the top and hit your question again, I do keep wishing the thing were over in PRSI; I have a robo-nomination in mind that would probably spring the thread to a couple dozen pages in no time at all, if only due to a rush of competing suggestions. :D

Meanwhile the face of a robot fish fooling real fish is pretty impressive. Next step: fooling real fishermen. It would seem to get fairly tricky around the time one goes to fillet Mr.JesKiddin.

8. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Perhaps a robot fish will run into a location-detecting underwater camera. Researchers at the University of Illinois have a camera that detects the polarization of light underwater, and uses that data to determine the angle of the sun, and from that the location of the camera. The camera's design was inspired by the eyes of the mantis shrimp. So perhaps the robot fish will have a shrimp dinner too!

9. Bollockser macrumors regular

Yeah toward the end they kind of turned Picard into an overly PC stiff and Worf became prissy.

10. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

More importantly, how long until someone figures out how to tie one of these on a line for the ultimate fishing lure?