Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Robotics and Machine Learning Expert Yoky Matsuoka Returning to Nest After Leaving Apple

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last May, Apple hired Nest's former Vice President of Technology, Yoky Matsuoka, to help run the company's health initiatives, but she ended up leaving Apple towards the end of 2016. Matsuoka is now joining the Nest team once again as the Alphabet-owed company has re-hired the robotics expert as the Chief Technology Officer for the Nest Learning Thermostat (via Bloomberg).

In her new role, she will "define a long-term technology roadmap" for the smart home accessory company, using her expertise in machine learning.

Matsuoka is also said to be encouraged by Alphabet to identify other companies under the corporate umbrella where Nest might be able to form a beneficial partnership through collaborations "on technology and product development."
Alphabet Inc. re-hired Yoky Matsuoka to oversee technology at its Nest Labs Inc. smart home unit, snapping up the robotics and artificial intelligence expert after she recently left Apple Inc.

As Chief Technology Officer, Matsuoka will work closely with Nest's engineering and product teams to define a long-term technology roadmap. She'll be responsible for identifying important enabling technologies for Nest products and services, such as sensors and machine learning, while partnering with outside companies.
During her time at Apple, Matsuoka worked under the company's chief operating officer Jeff Williams, who is in charge of Apple's health initiatives like ResearchKit, HealthKit, and CareKit. Originally at Nest, Matsuoka developed the technology that lets the Nest Learning Thermostat adapt to environmental conditions and learn from past usage. She also co-founded the experimental project lab Google X, which has created Google's self-driving car and Google Glass.

Matsuoka was part of Nest when it was founded by "iPod father" Tony Fadell in 2010, but Fadell has now left the company, noting in a blog post last summer that it was the right time to "leave the Nest." Since he left, Fadell has become an advisor to Nest and Alphabet CEO Larry Page. According to Bloomberg, Matsuoka's return to Nest might help lead to a smoother 2017, following a few years of protracted product releases and recalled devices.

Article Link: Robotics and Machine Learning Expert Yoky Matsuoka Returning to Nest After Leaving Apple

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
It was my impression that Nest was being shut down, like many Google ventures before it. But recently I saw a commercial for Nest and apparently they are hiring.

Reactions: jeremysteele
Comment

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
People come and go for a variety of reasons. And maybe it's only because Apple moves get more publicity, but it does seem like there are key people leaving the company for whatever reason. Very odd if someone leaves so soon after joining. Typically means they either don't like what they're doing or don't like who they're doing it with. Not sure if that's an Apple issue or a Jeff Williams issue.

Reactions: 69650
Comment

Romy90210

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
and the brain drain of apple continues
Don't worry.. Apple already has her replacement... Queen Latifah is set to take her place and lead Apple's efforts in becoming pop culture company...
[doublepost=1485269346][/doublepost]
People come and go for a variety of reasons. And maybe it's only because Apple moves get more publicity, but it does seem like there are key people leaving the company for whatever reason. Very odd if someone leaves so soon after joining. Typically means they either don't like what they're doing or don't like who they're doing it with. Not sure if that's an Apple issue or a Jeff Williams issue.
or some just don't like or agree with the direction the company is heading...

Comment

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Why are you wondering why they used a photo of the person which this article is about?

The poster is probably pointing out slyly that this photo is not the usual "glamour" shot used in such articles. Looks like they took an unflattering pic on her 'no makeup' day in the office.

Comment

RowellE

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
The poster is probably pointing out slyly that this photo is not the usual "glamour" shot used in such articles. Looks like they took an unflattering pic on her 'no makeup' day in the office.
Precisely!

Comment

djlythium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2014
Don't worry.. Apple already has her replacement... Queen Latifah is set to take her place and lead Apple's efforts in becoming pop culture company...
[doublepost=1485269346][/doublepost]
or some just don't like or agree with the direction the company is heading...
Haha! That QL bit got me.

Comment

blacktape242

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA

HA! I lol'd with that one!

if that happens i quit, i just quit...

Comment

jeremysteele

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011
It was my impression that Nest was being shut down, like many Google ventures before it. But recently I saw a commercial for Nest and apparently they are hiring.

Same here.... has Nest come out with anything new lately? Dead serious - I see them so rarely in the news these days.

Comment

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Wonder why MacRumors is using her mugshot for this story.

Unflattering? Uh, she's gorgeous.

It's her LinkedIn picture. So it's the appropriate one to use. As far as glamour I can imagine she doesn't need a glamour shot to apply for a robotics position. It's hard enough being a women in these fields, imagine if she used a glamour shot instead.

Comment

WarDialer

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
San Jose, CA
Wonder why MacRumors is using her mugshot for this story.

Looks like her company directory photo. Granted they are kinda like a mugshot, but the office is always in a rush it seemed to get your photo and badge done.

Some of the people commenting how terrible she looks have apparently seen only sexually explicit 3D renderings of Overwatch characters and have rather limited up close experience with women in the real world who are not their mom.

Comment

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
It's her LinkedIn picture. So it's the appropriate one to use. As far as glamour I can imagine she doesn't need a glamour shot to apply for a robotics position. It's hard enough being a women in these fields, imagine if she used a glamour shot instead.

If you notice I wrote glamour in quotations. I was not referring to her looks. I, and I believe the original poster, are referring to the unprofessional nature of the photo. Go back to any other article involving executives. Notice how the composition and lighting and photoshop of those photos?

She's an executive.... I would expect a better pic than this. Whomever the photographer was....they need to put down the camera and back away.

Reactions: Carlanga
Comment

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
That's an interesting discovery because you can't just scrape someone's LinkedIn profile picture and repost it. They don't even allow it with attribution according to their terms. So... unless they got the picture through some other legal means MR is in violation of the DMCA.

Comment

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68030
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
With a brain and background like her's, she probably doesn't do interviews. In fact, she probably would would take the interviewers question, slap them over their head and tell them to get f out of here.

Reactions: 69650
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.