Robotics and Machine Learning Expert Yoky Matsuoka Returning to Nest After Leaving Apple

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 24, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last May, Apple hired Nest's former Vice President of Technology, Yoky Matsuoka, to help run the company's health initiatives, but she ended up leaving Apple towards the end of 2016. Matsuoka is now joining the Nest team once again as the Alphabet-owed company has re-hired the robotics expert as the Chief Technology Officer for the Nest Learning Thermostat (via Bloomberg).

In her new role, she will "define a long-term technology roadmap" for the smart home accessory company, using her expertise in machine learning.

Matsuoka is also said to be encouraged by Alphabet to identify other companies under the corporate umbrella where Nest might be able to form a beneficial partnership through collaborations "on technology and product development."
    During her time at Apple, Matsuoka worked under the company's chief operating officer Jeff Williams, who is in charge of Apple's health initiatives like ResearchKit, HealthKit, and CareKit. Originally at Nest, Matsuoka developed the technology that lets the Nest Learning Thermostat adapt to environmental conditions and learn from past usage. She also co-founded the experimental project lab Google X, which has created Google's self-driving car and Google Glass.

Matsuoka was part of Nest when it was founded by "iPod father" Tony Fadell in 2010, but Fadell has now left the company, noting in a blog post last summer that it was the right time to "leave the Nest." Since he left, Fadell has become an advisor to Nest and Alphabet CEO Larry Page. According to Bloomberg, Matsuoka's return to Nest might help lead to a smoother 2017, following a few years of protracted product releases and recalled devices.

Article Link: Robotics and Machine Learning Expert Yoky Matsuoka Returning to Nest After Leaving Apple

2. okboy macrumors regular

It was my impression that Nest was being shut down, like many Google ventures before it. But recently I saw a commercial for Nest and apparently they are hiring.

3. RowellE macrumors regular

RowellE

Wonder why MacRumors is using her mugshot for this story.

4. kfury77 macrumors regular

kfury77

Why are you wondering why they used a photo of the person which this article is about?

5. Wackery macrumors 6502a

6. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

People come and go for a variety of reasons. And maybe it's only because Apple moves get more publicity, but it does seem like there are key people leaving the company for whatever reason. Very odd if someone leaves so soon after joining. Typically means they either don't like what they're doing or don't like who they're doing it with. Not sure if that's an Apple issue or a Jeff Williams issue.

7. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

8. Romy90210 macrumors 6502

Don't worry.. Apple already has her replacement... Queen Latifah is set to take her place and lead Apple's efforts in becoming pop culture company...
    --- Post Merged, Jan 24, 2017 ---
    or some just don't like or agree with the direction the company is heading...

9. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

10. 2010mini macrumors 601

The poster is probably pointing out slyly that this photo is not the usual "glamour" shot used in such articles. Looks like they took an unflattering pic on her 'no makeup' day in the office.

11. nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

Most likely apple was so great she couldn't handle it...

12. Pike R. Alpha macrumors 6502

Pike R. Alpha

Yatta! Yoky! Omedetou!

Dr. P. R. Alpha @ Google

13. RowellE macrumors regular

RowellE

It was a joke about the photo looking like a mugshot...

14. TomaxXamot macrumors regular

TomaxXamot

Unflattering? Uh, she's gorgeous.

15. RowellE macrumors regular

RowellE

Precisely!

16. djlythium macrumors 6502a

djlythium

Haha! That QL bit got me.

17. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

Don't worry.. Apple already has her replacement... Queen Latifah is set to take her place and lead Apple's efforts in becoming pop culture company...

HA! I lol'd with that one!

if that happens i quit, i just quit...

18. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Same here.... has Nest come out with anything new lately? Dead serious - I see them so rarely in the news these days.

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

It's her LinkedIn picture. So it's the appropriate one to use. As far as glamour I can imagine she doesn't need a glamour shot to apply for a robotics position. It's hard enough being a women in these fields, imagine if she used a glamour shot instead.

20. WarDialer macrumors member

WarDialer

Looks like her company directory photo. Granted they are kinda like a mugshot, but the office is always in a rush it seemed to get your photo and badge done.

Some of the people commenting how terrible she looks have apparently seen only sexually explicit 3D renderings of Overwatch characters and have rather limited up close experience with women in the real world who are not their mom.

21. 2010mini macrumors 601

If you notice I wrote glamour in quotations. I was not referring to her looks. I, and I believe the original poster, are referring to the unprofessional nature of the photo. Go back to any other article involving executives. Notice how the composition and lighting and photoshop of those photos?

She's an executive.... I would expect a better pic than this. Whomever the photographer was....they need to put down the camera and back away.

22. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

That's an interesting discovery because you can't just scrape someone's LinkedIn profile picture and repost it. They don't even allow it with attribution according to their terms. So... unless they got the picture through some other legal means MR is in violation of the DMCA.

23. M2M macrumors 6502

M2M

Apple Working on 'Enhanced Siri' Capabilities... robotics and machine learning experts leaves the company...

24. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Agreed about the brain drain. But was this a genuine disappointment with the progress and vision of Apple's leadership, or a sneaky little Google spying mission to see where Apple is at, NDAs notwithstanding?

25. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

With a brain and background like her's, she probably doesn't do interviews. In fact, she probably would would take the interviewers question, slap them over their head and tell them to get f out of here.