Robust Copy of DVD

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by haravikk, Feb 15, 2013.

1. haravikk macrumors 65816

Okay so I have a damaged DVD and I was hoping to copy into a disk image on my Mac so that I can simply burn a copy. However, Disk Utility seems to be having trouble creating the image.

I'm curious; how robust is Disk Utility's copying (how hard will actually work to try and read a damage block) and is there any software out there that might work better for copying the contents of the disk?

The whole thing is fairly frustrating as I have no idea what's wrong with the disk; there's no visible damage to the disk, and when playing it in various computers and DVD players the parts at which it skips are not entirely consistent, they're roughly within the same 30 seconds or so but never at exactly the same point, but after a while of copying Disk Utility just gives up with an "Input/Output" error with an impressive +10 in non-specifity and vagueness.

Anyway, any utilities out there that might provide more robust disk reading, or at least spend more time trying to read before it gives up?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

DVD blank media are sensitive to the specific burner. Try a spindle of higher grade media. Oh, and did I tell you not to expose your blank media to light? Well, don't expose your blank media to light.

3. haravikk thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not trying to burn a disk (yet); what I have is a DVD with data on it that I'm trying to save by copying it onto my computer so that I can then make a new, undamaged, copy.

The problem is reading the disk, though I'm not sure why as, like I said, it doesn't seem to be damaged. It's a playable DVD but every DVD player I've tried it in skips or gets stuck at roughly the same point, though not always the exact same part of playback.

Anyway, the trouble I'm having is that while creating a disk image of the DVD Disk Utility just gives up with an I/O error, so I'm hoping there might be some other software I can try that might be able to do better.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My warning to you not to expose your media to light applies. Unfortunately, it may be too late. Home-burned DVDs are temporary storage. The optically-sensitive dye that holds the data will bleach-out over time under the best of circumstances. If it is exposed to light, then it will bleach-out faster.

Once gone, data burned on a DVD can't be recovered. You might try a different computer. It is better to maintain your data on an external disc or even a USB flash drive.

5. haravikk thread starter macrumors 65816

It's not a home-burned DVD but one I bought; it used to work fine but now it doesn't, but I don't especially want to buy a replacement (as it's a single disk from a large set).

I know the whole copying your own property for personal use is still somewhat vague these days; I'm pretty sure it's okay in the UK, and if it isn't it should be as I'm just trying to rescue the disk.

Like I say it still mostly plays, but Disk Utility just gives up when it gets to the bad area; in more robust players like my computer the broken parts are simply skipped, however they do seem to actually be there as the area that causes trouble isn't completely consistent, i.e - each player skips at roughly the same point, but not exactly. So it seems like all the data is there if I could Disk Utility to try harder at reading it; or at the very least I would think I could pull the segment from the disc even the picture is a little garbled, as a brief glitch in otherwise complete playback would be preferable to the current issue that causes my normal DVD players (not computers) to just free and stutter.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Two things:
    1. My comment was all about the limitations of burnable DVD media and nothing about the propriety to duplicating copyrighted material.
    2. It is comforting to know that you are trying to preserve a DVD that you purchased. This brings up a larger point. Manufactured DVDs are much more robust than home-burned DVDs because data are recorded in mechanical pits stamped in an aluminum film rather a phase change in an optically-sensitive film. However, more robust is not the same as invulnerable.
    Manufactured DVDs are anything but invulnerable. A primary vector for problems is the aging and cracking of the polymer cover over the aluminum film. Of course, a DVD may also be damaged by heat warping or mechanical impacts.

My prescription, with additions, still holds. The first addition is to clean the DVD with alcohol and some type of non-abrasive fabric. If your computer cannot read the disc after it has been cleaned, then try to locate a different computer that will read and copy the disc. If you cannot locate a computer than can read and copy the disc to completion, then you should use the Finder to copy all readable files from the DVD to your internal hard drive, external hard drive, or USB Flash drive. With all readable files copied and secure, use a disc restorer on the disc. Try again to copy the disc.