Robust FTP client, maybe 64-bit?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shinji, Jan 4, 2010.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I'm looking for an FTP/SFTP client that won't stop responding when dealing with a folder that has thousands of files. Yummy FTP and Transmit don't handle them very well when you get past 20,000 or so.

Are there any 64-bit FTP clients for OS X, or at least a more robust alternative to those two common apps?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If you need to manage that many files, you should know Terminal and its built in FTP. Terminal's FTP function handles way better than GUI clients.

3. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

Yeah, that's what I've been resorting to when it craps out. It's a complete hassle and I prefer a GUI that can display that many files.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Forklift and CyberDuck come to mind.

5. alienapp macrumors member

For me at least, Cyberduck is the best overall ftp client.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

20,000 files :eek:

Wow, I don't think any tool is really designed to handle that many images regularly. I concur SnowLeopard2008 that the terminal/built-in FTP client is probably your best bet to dealing with large volumes

I'm curious as to what you're doing that is causing transmit to give you headaches. Did you try breaking up the work into smaller manageable chunks, i.e., 2,000 files, or 5,000 file chunks.