Rock and Cydia...huh? Question.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by nutsnbolts, Oct 12, 2009.

1. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

Cydia versus Rock

Help me understand this. I was under the impression that both applications does the same thing and it's a matter of preference which you like better.

However, it seems like if you purchased an app from Cydia, and later on, you download the same application from Rock, any registration, validation, etc. that you have purchased for the application won't work. In other words, you have to download the same app from Cydia again versus Rock.

I guess the question is, between the two, I have to technically keep both but what are the advantages between the two?

Furthemore, any way to completely just move over to Rock (just better UI).

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

So what's Rock? "iphone Rock" in Google bring up those silly iPhone vs Rock images. :) You have any useful links? Thanks!

3. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Wrong impression, both apps do similar things but not the same things. they each handle different applications.

What software is sold by both RYP and Cydia?

The Rock App iPhone app has a comparison (from RYP's point of view) with Cydia and Icy

bytethese: Rock = Rock Your Phone - Click Here.

I have both and as far as I can tell, the Rock App can handle Cydia based apps, but Cydia can't handle Rock Apps. Frankly, having both isn't that big a deal to me so I haven't looked into it that much.

4. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

The inspell app. I just dealt with this issue. I purchased through cydia, doesn't transfer to rock. No big deal, but that does answer op's question.

5. Kuddles macrumors member

FWIW, the new update of Rock is incredible. I re-JB'd my 3GS to 3.1 last night, and it was by far the easiest restore I have ever done. It took about 3 minutes for Rock to restore all my JB apps. The load times are great, too.

6. The General macrumors 601

rock your iphone is a pointless heap of bloatware. do not install it. do not use it. do not be pulled in by things like elert, it's not worth it. rock your iphone is to cydia what Installer 3 was to cydia. it's that bad.

elert is also terrible, come to think of it. instead of popping up a box that looks like the text message notification, it shows some hideous box that is too small and sucks.

just stay away from crap like that. you shouldnt pay for jailbreak apps, anyway.

7. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

To: OP and Everyone Else

The General has an unnatural hatred of RYP. Every time someone posts about it, he chimes in with the same rant. If you like RYP, use it. If you don't like RYP, don't use it.

8. koollectablz macrumors 6502

I had no knowledge of rock until a few days ago. TBH I think its pretty impressive - super UI and quicker than cydia. Much better than Icy.

That said I had to uninstall it as it conflicts with cydia when I installed both with blackra1n. If I did it again I think I'd go the rock route.

9. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

I have them both installed and have no conflicts.

10. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I also use both RYP and Cydia and have found the new RYP much more functional, easier to use and faster then Cydia. It also stores all of my Apps and does a backup for restore.

RYP did have some problems in the beginning but that has all changed and it is a very easy app to use. I use it to update ALL of my Cydia apps.

11. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

To be honest, RYP seems to be better than Cydia in that it does backup your apps and restoring from it was pretty awesome, especially when I blackrain'd my 3.0.1 iPhone.

Of course, it didn't install all my JB apps because of why I posted this post. I don't see a big problem keeping both application but I would rather have one and the preferable one is obviously RYP. Especially from a UI perspective.

Nevertheless, I guess I will be keeping both applications.

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

:rolleyes:

Pretty sure he's got that attitude toward everything.

Rock is amazing. And there's nothing wrong with paying for jailbroken apps. A lot of those developers are making better and more functional apps than what you find in the App Store and deserve some compensation.

13. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Another positive vote here for Rock Your Phone (Rock). I first used it because it was the only way to get a couple of Apps that I wanted. Now I use it because it is a much faster and cleaner GUI than Cydia. That being said, Cydia will always be on my phone also.

The only conflict I see is that you can find all apps in all repositories via Rock, but if it is set up as a paid app on Cydia, you can see it in Rock but have to go to Cydia to purchase it. You can then manage it in Rock.

14. The General macrumors 601

Hello,

Please find one other post made by me where I even talk about Rock Your iPhone or even post in a thread about Rock Your iPhone.

Thanks,
    The General

15. Link00seven macrumors regular

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just started getting into this Jailbreaking scene. I did the blackra1n jailbreak on my 3G (3.1.2) and installed Cydia initially. I then ended up installing Rock through Cydia. My question is, can the two live together without any issues? Is there an advantage to using one or the other? Will I somehow mess up my jailbreak by installing some apps from Cydia and others from Rock? What about if I want to uninstall apps? (Do I need to use the source I downloaded it from initially or will it read the same database and uninstall as requested?)

I just can't seem to get any reliable information on this :/

16. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Dont have RYP and never tried it.

Dont even know where to get it. I just use Cydia but wouldnt mind trying RYP if it doesnt have any issues.

17. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I have both Cydia and RYP on MiPhone and they have been co-habitating for the last 3 months without any arguments or fighting. There are no real advantages between one or the other except that you may find an app or theme on one that does not exist on the other. They both share some of the same apps as well. I have updated apps shared by both using both, I have updated apps from one that are not updated by the other and I have Reloaded ALL of my apps using the RYP backup option. I do recommend that if you uninstall something that you uninstall it from the store that you loaded it through. This should insure that the right files are pulled and deleted and you dont get (as much) residule stuff left behind.

Overall...no problems and they work fine together.

18. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

And the other way around as well. Several pay apps from Cydia are not available on RYP even though RYP can display them from the repo libraries.

I agree that it's not that big a deal to keep both on your phone. I hide one in SBSettings and keep one on my springboard.

19. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

If you decide to try a paid app such as tlert or intelliscreen (only available from RYP), you'll be forced to use RYP. It's a nice gui, but not completely problem free. They do have a nice backup process though.

20. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

What he said. Great UI for Rock Your Phone, but it's not perfect. If Saurik could clean up Cydia so it looked even half as nice RYP, or added the automatic backup, I'd never leave Cydia. Oh well.

21. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Just to chip into this debate, I wouldn't mind RYP if it wasn't for the fact they use their own extensions and modify system files. These 'Rock Extensions' aren't as mature or stable as mobile substrate (The extensions used by most Cydia apps and developed by Saurik). Also because 'Rock Extensions' modify system files there are a few cases where running a Cydia app and a RYP app will cause crashes or serious problems. Google it, you'll find lots of examples. Also good luck trying to uninstall RYP, it leaves files EVERYWHERE on your phone.

22. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

With the possible exception of MiWi (which I can live without), I can't find any reason to install Rock. Pkgbackup is a great backup program, and Rock makes all kinds of unpleasant changes to system files. I'll stick with Cydia, thank you.

23. Link00seven macrumors regular

I'm glad to hear that! I initially chose Cydia because that's the one I had heard of but downloaded Rock because I wanted MyWi and just to check it out. So far I haven't had any problems but we'll see what happens.