Rock Band 2 Vs. Guitar Hero World Tour

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by fiercetiger224, Oct 27, 2008.

1. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

I noticed no one has created a thread for either Rock Band 2 or Guitar Hero World Tour. So I'm makin' one. :D

So, who has what? I managed to pick up the PS3 versions of Rock Band 2 (just the game) and the Guitar Hero World Tour Band Kit (complete with drumset, mic, and guitar).

First, Rock Band 2. I have to say, RB2 just does EVERYTHING better. It's more realistic and more streamlined. And I'm glad they made the "Expert" difficulty on the guitar more like the first couple of GH games, which Harmonix did make, so it makes sense. RB1 was a little bit on the easy side for the guitar. But it's finally been addressed! And the menus and overall presentation is awesome.

Now on to GHWT. I was kind of disappointed when I started playing. I hated how GH3 had very loose timings on stuff (meaning you can still get a note in if you missed it by like 50 millisecs or something like that), so I wasn't sure if Neversoft would have addressed that issue. But they didn't, and it just doesn't feel as realistic as it should be. The song list is also disappointing as well. It has some RB2 songs here and there, but the variety isn't as vast as RB2. It does have some Tool though. RB2 has more genres, especially more indie stuff. And don't get me started on failing songs. If ONE person fails, all fail. No saving a person. Nada. Anyway, presentation-wise very disappointing. Songs are difficult to navigate, and art direction is terrible in comparison to RB2, let alone RB1. Now onto positives. The instruments do shine compared to the RB2 kit. The drumset is very nice and quiet. Guitar feels very solid, and has a nice and large strum and whammy bar. And really, the only positive IS the instruments. It's actually the reason why I got it, and GHWT as a bonus.

So, verdict? GHWT is a big letdown, and RB wins once again. Harmonix is truly a perfectionist in music simulation. ;)

Oh and I'm very disappointed to find out that the PS3 drumkit from GHWT doesn't work with Rock Band 2! I thought they were supposed to be cross-compatible?! Maybe Harmonix is working on a patch for RB2... :rolleyes:

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's kinda good to hear. I had a little play around on RB1 on a friends 360 and it wasn't too bad. I don't normally care for music games but I love the party atmosphere on that game. So much that I was planning on getting RB2 for the Wii (maybe) but a bunch of friends told me GHWT was going to better, since you can make your own songs or something. But it just felt like I fell into a fanboy world of which was better. They exist with everything it seems!

3. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

The 'make your own' mode is very limited and seems to be pretty much a 'feature list' gimmick. For the Wii I think we've decided to get our kids RB2, since you can download new stuff and also import all of RB1.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I haven't played either (though I get Rockband 2 free this Wednesday... hehe) but I prefer the song list on Guitar Hero, which is really the only thing that matters to me since I play them very casually.

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Will be getting GHWT Full Bundle, RB2 Just Game, and Rent RB1 to get the Song List.

6. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

7. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Interesting... I've been hearing the complete opposite.

What I've heard is that RockBand 2 is little different from the first game aside from songs obviously. Some people have told me that Guitar Hero World Tour has given that same "wow" feeling as when they played the first Guitar Hero. And I heard the song creator is quite in-depth.

8. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Same here, but I already owned RB1. ;) So now I can probably sell it to someone for cheap.

I will give credit for Neversoft signing Tool and Michael Jackson onto GHWT. I'm curious as to whether or not Harmonix is going to get them signed onto Rock Band. I've been playing GHWT a little bit more, and I still feel that IGN's review is more spot-on than others. Anyone else agree? I tried the song creator, and it's a b*tch to work with. Unless you have lots of time on your hands, it's not something that an average gamer would want to mess with. Rock Band 2 just does everything better, and is very well balanced.

Does anyone know whether or not the GHWT drum kit on the 360 works with Rock Band 2? I'm too lazy to search right now. :eek:

9. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Ok, after reading some reviews, it sounds like Rock Band is the better buy. Not sure why, but I wanted Guitar Hero to be better.

10. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why want Guitar Hero to be better when it was originally developed by the same developer that makes Rock Band? I actually had some faith in Neversoft, since they've made some really great titles in the past, but they let me down. The funny thing is, I think the visuals in GH3 are better than GHWT, which is very sad as GH3 is a year old title...Oh well. Just get Rock Band 2. You won't regret it. I'm telling you from personal experience. ;)

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

after the european rock band release fiasco (6 months late + another 3 months for wii and ps3 + extra high price + douchebag developer comments) i gladly never give them any of my money

(surprise surprise the prices for the wii version of the first already dropped 90euro within 1,5 months ... because it's lying on the shelves like the boxes were filled with lead)

on the other side i have already a guitar hero 3 guitar and i have i think 7 friends who own it as well ...
    i'm gonna get myself the new guitar bundle together with my sister (who also owns a wii + gh3) and later down the road some mics

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Grr...this thread has made me wanting to play Guitar Hero, but the Wii isn't at the house right now, bummer!

13. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Does anyone know if either RB2 or GHWT PS3 band kits are cross-compatible with each other and/or backwards compatible with RB1 and/or GHIII?
    I already have the RB1 full band kit for my PS3 and I really don't want to invest in another set of instruments if they aren't going to work for both titles.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont think they would b cross compatible with each other

are the guitars from previous games crosscopatible? ie rb and legends of rock for instance?

15. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Rock Band kit is cross compatible with GHWT. BUT, the GHWT kit is half-assed cross compatible. The drum kit from GHWT doesn't work with Rock Band, despite Sony's efforts to have cross compatibility. Apparently Harmonix is working with Sony on fixing the issue.

So to answer your question, yes your RB1 kit will work with RB2 and GHWT.