Rock Bottom HV20 Pricing- $677!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fart, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Bunsen macrumors member

Sweet! Just sent the link to my wife as a Christmas present hint!:)

2. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Wow, hehe. At that price, I might pick up a "spare". ;)

I got it a few weeks ago from CC for $750 and thought that was a deal. Great price on a GREAT cam!

3. MacVault macrumors 65816

HV20 vs HG10

I saw an HV20 at BestBuy this weekend. I heard rave reviews about the video quality of the HV20 but was a bit dissapointed in the physical build quality of the camera itself. But I am mostly concerned with the video quality.

I then saw Canon's new HG10 and it looks a little more sturdy in build quality. So, my question is... how does the video quality compare between the two? HDV2 vs AVCHD? I really like the idea of a hard drive in the camera as opposed to the MiniDV tapes - though I admit I am a novice when it comes to video equipment and recording.

So, would I be much more "awed" by the HV20 video over the HG10 video???

4. rotlex macrumors 6502a

The HG10 is an excellent camcorder. IMO, probably the best HDD based cam out there. With that noted however, I returned one I had for a few days in favor of the HV20.

Quality wise, they are very close, again, IMO, and Canon has done a GREAT job with AVCHD on the HG10. My problem however was long term storage. I still prefer the instant archive capability of tape. I also think HDV has an edge over AVCHD in terms of quality and editability. One thing that had initially led me towards a hard drive cam, was not having to capture to the comp in real time. Uh, frankly, with AVCHD, it was even a bit LONGER than real time due to the system having to decode the AVCHD data into an editable format. This also creates HUGE files, and again, I wound up returning to that long term storage thing. With tape, I have excellent quality, and immediate archive. I also have a way to watch home movies in full HD glory in my living room by simply connecting the cam to the TV without having the need for a currently VERY expensive blue ray or HD DVD recording system.

Just my 2 cents, but as an "old timer" I think tape\mine dv\HDV still h as a LOT of life left in it. (And yeah, I'm a broken record, but the HV20 is an amazing camera)! :)