"Rock God" advert commands.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JUiCEJamie, Feb 13, 2012.

1. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Has anybody else noticed that, "How do I play London Calling?" just doesn't work with Siri?
    I'm not sure if it's because I'm using UK English (tried US English too), but I just can't bring up that command at all.

The same happened when 'Santa' asked Siri something new over the festive period. It was something like, "Find an email with naughty or nice".

Any clues?

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

You're not the only one; I was curious about some of these commands too. I'm in the UK but use US English (it picks up my Northern Irish accent better). I asked Siri "How do I play London calling" and Siri understood what I said but offered up a web search. Also, I couldn't get Siri to understand "How do I play a B minor 9" at all.

Attached Files:

3. JUiCEJamie thread starter macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Exactly! I get the exact same response.
    Now, I've managed to get chords from Wolfram Alpha, (not always the Bm9. But try a Cmaj7. Worked first time for me! - But other chords are trickier.

What else does the 'Rock God' ask to learn how to play? I can't quite tell what he's saying?!

IMG_1011.PNG

4. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I tried that phrase too. I guess that's what he wanted it to do. A web search.

He said "A B minor ninth" Not "9"

5. JUiCEJamie thread starter macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

I know what he said, that's what I tell Siri too. But musically, we don't write Bm9th. We write Bm9.

6. riffola macrumors member

I believe this ad surely counts as false advertising.

7. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Maybe you do.

Yeah. That command isn't practical. All she would do is pull up all your recent email.

I believe Siri will be granted more abilities. That's what she told me anyway.

Attached Files:

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It would count as false advertising if it showed Siri responding in a way it doesn't actually do in real life. You'll note that the ad doesn't actually show how Siri responds to "How do I play London Calling?" Just that the "rock god" can ask it this. Which is true: there is nothing physically stopping you from asking it these things. How it answers may or may not be what you expect, though.

Same is true with Santa's "naughty or nice" question. You can certainly ask it: how Siri responds just isn't shown.

The "b minor ninth" question does work on Siri (just tried it), so that's not false advertising either.

9. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I would contact a lawyer ASAP and see about filling a lawsuit against Apple.

Be careful though. I have heard of individuals filing lawsuits against Apple only to never be heard from again.

10. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Worked for me on my first try...

Attached Files:

11. riffola macrumors member

I am not filing any lawsuits, come on that's silly talk. All I am saying is that the ads are misleading. Maybe not false advertising, but surely misleading, as they imply that Siri could answer those questions rather than asking you if you wanted to perform a Google search on the topic.

I just wish Apple would tailor the ads to focus on what Siri can do right now, rather than make it seem like it does more when it obviously doesn't have those features yet.

12. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

It is funny that they've never shown Siri answer with a Google search. That's never in the commercials. Yet that's the response that you'll get the most. Unless we're using it incorrectly...

They market Siri as if it has more usability and it actually does. I'm not sure if they want to go all the way and make the technology omniscient, or if they want to just stick to basic functions so it doesn't get too creepy.

I vote for omniscience.

13. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Maybe he isn't using the beta version that we all are :rolleyes: