Rock vs Cydia which is better? Personal thoughts

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gixxerfool, Feb 15, 2010.

1. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Rock was just installed on my phone due to an emulator I downloaded. I'm wondering if there's a difference. Can I use both? Will one conflict with the other? Does anyone prefer one and why? Thanks for your thoughts.

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

rock is faster, offers more features, doesnt crash like cydia, doesnt have that reloading thing in front of your face all the time, and is more stable.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Rock installs a buggy forked version of MobileSubstrate called RockExtensions. Rock can conflict with Cydia. Rock does not use Apt to install packages from its store, which can definitely cause problems.

Rock has some nice features, but I would stay well away from it.

4. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Oh wow. Ok. I will be sure to promptly delete it.

5. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I wouldn't say it's bad enough to run away from it. The interface is great, but as mentioned does seem to conflict at times. However, the backup feature is the best I've used so far.

In the end, you can't use Rock exclusively as some Cydia apps just aren't available via Rock. I have had both Rock and Cydia installed for months with very few issues (maybe one safe mode a month due to Rock).

6. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I'm sorry. You lost me here. What's this mean?

7. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

it means rock throws you into safe mode on your iphone, atleast once a month. the iphone safe mode is only available on jailbroken iphones. it disables all themes, and add ons. try googling it to see a picture.

8. Blinkwing macrumors member

It means that the phone crashes and you have to restart it because it restarts in 'safe mode' from the crash.

9. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

no you're wrong, the phone doesnt crash, the springboard does. you can also initiate safe mode by sliding your finger across the top, (if you have sbsettings), then clicking power, then safe mode.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Cydia offcourse.
    And the number 1 reason for me.
    It saved my SHSH's for 3.1 and 3.1.2 so if anything happens and I need to restore my phone I can without losing my jailbreak or unlock.
    Thanks Saurik.

11. phynios macrumors member

phynios

Cydia can be a little annoying with the loading data pop-up but other than that I think it's far more useful that Rock in that the majority of apps that I ever wanted were only available via Cydia. In Rock, as it uses Cydia repositories, there are loads of apps with a notice "not yet available via Rock", i.e. just use Cydia.

RockExtensions also caused me some major grief, expecially as I liked MyWi (Rock only) but I learned to do without to save me the hassle!

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

How does this work? if you restore and apple patches the jailbreak and no longer signing old fw, how do you get to cydia to retrieve your old shsh?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I will post the tutorial later. Cydias server saves the shshs for your device and then when you need to restore or downgrade thru iTunes you do so by redirecting iTunes to get them from cydia.

14. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

15. illutionz macrumors 65816

I think this is what you really mean

"rock is slower, offers less features, crashed and conflict with Cydia all the time, less stable, forced to your face by MyWi, My3G, and Intelliscreen, oh did I mention it installs RockExtension which conflicts with Cydia"

16. celticpride678

Personally, I find that Rock is much more stable and faster than Cydia. I use Rock as much as I can.

17. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

some things are only available on one or the other. cydia seems ESSENTIAL, rock is IF you want something only available there. use both!

18. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Dumbest thing I've ever heard. For the sake of backing it up, I ran some benchmarks on my own.

Start time-
    Cydia: 43 seconds (usable after 14 seconds but a later interruption occurs to reload data.)
    Rock: 3 seconds (updates happen in the background)

Install time-
    Cydia: 19 seconds (Loading Data bs)
    Rock: 4 seconds (No Loading Data)

More features in Cydia? Pff, yeah right. Rock saves your applist automatically and has a much better source/package maintenance system. Rock is aesthetically more pleasing as well and actually features a landscape mode on both the iPhone and the iPad. Rock also downloads and installs apps in the background so you can browse as you download packages. Cydia throws a black screen with text in your face and reloads data for the billionth time after you are done installation. If the package requires that you restart your device, Cydia doesn't give you any choice but to do that. Rock lets you restart immediately or on exit, giving you time to finish downloading apps before restarting all the time. So, basically, installing 10 apps in a row that need restarting on Cydia could probably take 15 minutes whereas it would only take 1 on Rock.

Only thing semi-right in your post there is about stability. Rock sometimes crashes if you install a ton of OS-changing packages. The benefits outweigh the drawbacks by a metric f*ckload, so I think I'll stick with Rock, thank you very much.

19. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I agree with mKTank, although perhaps not as passionately. Rock appears smoother in its appearance and download capabilities.

Cydia is a bit annoying in that not everything downloads and error pop-up screens occur often.

20. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I just restored and used Rock restore for the jb apps.
    extremely easy and quick
    Rock has come a long way since it was introduced.

I still use cydia, less flashy very plain jane appearance which I like.

Rock seems to be a more complete end user solution.

I use both

21. illutionz macrumors 65816

Well, I do respect your passion but I have jailbroken my phones since iPhone 2G and the only times I have to do restore due to corrupted file/errors/etc are when Rock is in my phones more than 3 hours. Good for you that it's not crapping your phone up but it happened to me more than twice and I'm now done with Rock ;)

22. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

IMO Cydia is Faster, offer more features, packages and more repos compatible with Cydia, Doesn't crash as much a Rock and doesn't slow down and hug my Free memory to use as page, Mobile substrate is more stable and compatible with 3er party apps than Rockextensions.

23. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Question:

I purchased MyWi 4.0 which requires Rock to be installed for licensing. Once MyWi is licensed, can I remove Rock? I'm thinking I can but I just want to check first. Thanks

24. illutionz macrumors 65816

If you remove Rock, it will also remove MyWi :(

25. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

As it is right now, you can, as soon as you remove rock it will also remove MyWi.:(