Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2009
CT

Thats the same one I use to dump all my extra stuff on. I now have a nice portable enclosure as well. That price seems a bit high however. I got mine about 3 months ago for $89 and I believe target just had them for $69.99 but that was on black friday. Check around real well for a good price. IMO as just storage, USB is fine. My new enclosure has FW800 and my old 320GB HDD in it, that one will travel with me and keep more important files right there and be abel to transfer at blazing fast speeds.

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Id say go with a 240GB or 256GB SSD, maybe 8GB of ram, and an external HDD of at least 500GB. That can all be had for around 600-750 Dollars if you shop around.

will6680

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Well lets see I'm already running my parents 500 bucks for the SSD. I dont think that Ill be needing a super expensive EHD.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Well lets see I'm already running my parents 500 bucks for the SSD. I dont think that Ill be needing a super expensive EHD.

The question is, do you really NEED the power, or just want it.

You shouldn't ruin your parents over a want, that's plain stupid.

will6680

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Yes I do need this. But now I realize that I really wont need the RAM.

deeesea

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2010
So, this Christmas, I've decided to order allot of new awesome things to upgrade my macbook pro 15 (latest version)

1. Go from 4gb ram to 8gb ram
2. Get a 2 TB external HD (WD)
3. ... heres where I'm stuck.

I really dont know what else I can add to make it better.

I was thinking about a new Graphics card, but then I realized that this thing already has two and there frickin' awesome...

Can some one help me with what I can do to for more things on my macbook?

:apple:

What's wrong with it now?
Is it too slow or something?

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Not true, and anyone who tells you otherwise is full of crap. Read the Magnuson-Moss(SP?) warranty act, and read the paperwork that came with your laptop. The hard drive and RAM are both user replaceable items and will not void your warranty if swapped out.

That is, unless you drop it off the table you're using to swap it out, spill liquid, vomit/other bodily fluid onto it while swapping, or run it over with a car or something, then, and only then, is your warranty voided by swapping out the RAM or HD.

I stand corrected. But I think my advice stays the same: Swapping out the storage drive in a Macbook (of any kind) is a tricky bit of business, and the average user should take his or her laptop into a repair shop to have the swap done.

I think this is doubly true for the OP here since we're having to explain what an SSD is and why they don't come in 1TB sizes.

Q-chan

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
Boston, MA, USA
What do you *really* need...?

So, this Christmas, I've decided to order allot of new awesome things to upgrade my macbook pro 15 (latest version)

1. Go from 4gb ram to 8gb ram
2. Get a 2 TB external HD (WD)
3. ... heres where I'm stuck.

I really dont know what else I can add to make it better.

I was thinking about a new Graphics card, but then I realized that this thing already has two and there frickin' awesome...

Can some one help me with what I can do to for more things on my macbook?

:apple:

Have you analyzed your system to see what is really needed? Have you checked with Activity Monitor under full load how much memory is used, what the primary cpu consumers are, who is most active on the disk or on the network? Only if you do this kind of analysis, then you can invest wisely.

Also, have you ever considered to tune your system parameters? Probably you just need to adjust these so that the system provides more adequate working sets to your processes. (and that would cost you not even a single penny).

Out of your list.... without further investigation I would pick the 2TB external drive for solid TimeMachine backups.....

I had run 48 CORBA servers concurrently on my very stock MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4GB Core 2 Duo and had still plenty of power to spare. Don't see where your problem is, honestly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.