RocketRaid + Mac shenanigans, unable to log into raid card, found a workaround.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TK2K, Jul 11, 2009.

1. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

Hi, I thought I'd share my workaround on this incase anyone in the future runs into a similar problem. I'm not really looking for replies, but I couldn't find this information posted anywhere on the internet.

So I recently purchased a 3522 for my xserve, however upon installing it I was repeatedly unable to access the card through the web GUI, the main contorller page would stop responding after about 5 mins, and the username and password supplied by the manual did not work. Keep in mind this was a brand new factory sealed card.

I called highpoint and the guy emailed me a new firmware version, but that did not help. I've seen this problem on the internet a bunch when I was looking for a solution, however I found none. I reinstalled a bunch of times, reflashed the card a bunch, but to no avail.

Finally, i noticed something on the WINDOWS part of the highpoint site, it's an EFI firmware (which existed in no part of the mac site). The firmware said it was only to be updated from the web GUI (which I could not log into). I decided to use the unix program built for the mac to upload the EFI firmware to the card, low and behold it worked! i can now log into the card ,build arrays, etc. It's working perfectly.

EFI bios can be found here

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/bios_rr3522.htm

2. hyram macrumors regular

I'm not having this problem, but I'm curious what you mean by "unix program built for the mac to upload the EFI firmware to the card???

hyram

3. TK2K thread starter macrumors 6502

TK2K

it's the utility for updating the firmware that comes on the mac DMG you download that has the drives on it

4. 50thVert macrumors regular

Subscribed for later. Just got a 3520 card and flashed it to the most recent firmware in a Windows PC, but have yet to install it in my Mac Pro.

I have the EFI software downloaded, but what exactly are the steps to installing it??

5. 50thVert macrumors regular

upon reading the 3520's readme .txt it seems that this EFI firmware just needs to be flashed to the card via Terminal?

Is this before or after the RAID card's OS X drivers/utilities are installed?

6. MacUserPeggy macrumors newbie

-----------------
    Hey guy, I also encounter the same problem. The solution is to update the driver and you could find the lastest driver by clicking the below link http://www.hptmac.com/US/productfiles/bios_driver/RR3xxx_4xxx-mac-v132-090407.dmg
    You don't need to upload the EFI firmware with this driver, it working perfectly.