Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RolledUp20s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Wrexham, North Wales
I have my iPhone 4s jailbroken, I did this with absinthe 2.01 on the weekend. It's untethered and working fine. Today an upgrade is available in Cydia for rocky Racoon..stating this is to allow untethered jailbrake? I'm confused? Is it ok to just upgrade this anyway? It says uninstalling it will unjailbrake the iPhone...does it uninstall to then upgrade it? Arghh..head puzzled :s

Sorry for the noob question..but I am a noob so there :p

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Upgrading a package will not removing it first. If it does, it will do it in a safe manner. You should have no issues updating the package. There were several updates to the Corona Jailbreak package in Cydia that saw no issues upon installing.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
I upgraded to it and like other things that get updated on Cydia i gather it just overwrites the previous version.

No problems here....so far ;)

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I just upgraded it and the following showed up on the screen of my 4s:

Attachments

• doublefp.jpg
    doublefp.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 74

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
But there is no reason to update Rocky Racoon. The only change was to add support for a device which, since you already have it installed, you do not have. All upgrading it does is run a risk (however small) of messing up your perfectly stable jailbreak.

If the badge is annoying you, just go into the package settings and set it to ignore updates for that package.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
1.0.3 has just been released. So, just to confirm, we don't need to be updating this, correct? We can just ignore future updates?

justinwebb

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2009
It wont hurt anything to update, unless you want the red 1 badge notification to be there all the time. Been doing this for years and have yet to have anything the dev team puts out update wise screw up my phone.

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Did this a couple days ago after i used 2.0.1 to jailbreak. It installed fine and no problems so far.

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
If you are already jb untethered, then yes, this is not for you, but at the same time, it won't matter if you update. The update is for the other devices that have only recently been able to take advantage of untethered jailbreaks, such as the newest release of the iPhone 4 GSM firwmare, or the apple TV and the 4th gen iPad 2.

So, if the badge annoys you, you can just change the cydia package settings on Rocky Racoon to not update you about it's updates.

Or, if that doesn't make you happy, then just update it anyway. It will have absolutely zero effect, and you won't even have to respring or reboot. You can return straight into Cydia.

Last edited:

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
If you are already jb untethered, then yes, this is not for you, but at the same time, it won't matter if you update. The update is for the other devices that have only recently been able to take advantage of untethered jailbreaks, such as the newest release of the iPhone 4 GSM firwmare, or the apple TV and the 4th gen iPad 2.

So, if the badge annoys you, you can just change the cydia package settings on Rocky Racoon to not update you about it's updates.

Or, if that doesn't make you happy, then just update it anyway. It will have absolutely zero effect.

cool, thanx!

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I wouldn't suggest people turn off update reminders for this. You never know if a critical update will get released and you don't want to be unaware of it because you've set it to ignore.

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
I wouldn't suggest people turn off update reminders for this. You never know if a critical update will get released and you don't want to be unaware of it because you've set it to ignore.

It will still show every time you go to the Changes section on Cydia, but under the heading "Ignored Updates," and at the very top of the list. A critical update for this package is unlikely though if you ask me.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
It will still show every time you go to the Changes section on Cydia, but under the heading "Ignored Updates," and at the very top of the list. A critical update for this package is unlikely though if you ask me.

Oh nice! I've always been afraid to ignore updates because I assumed they would fly under the radar. I'm glad you corrected me. I am awfully sorry if I misled anyone. Thanks Mastah.

NanoNyrd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
There were several semi-critical updates to Corona Untether, the corresponding package for iOS 5.0.1. I think they were related to the original versions breaking iBooks. Something similar could happen with this package, or they could fix an instability - it is after all patching the kernel through some kind of buffer overflow, and who knows if they find a timing issue or something and fix it.

Ignore updates to critical packages at your own risk :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.