Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I use a Rode I-XY mix with my iphone 5 and it works great since the stock mic sucks. I also do live screen capture videos with my laptop and was wondering if there was a way to use this lightning pin Rode I-XY instead of my laptop mic........would be much better. Any ideas? thanks.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I am not sure what you want to do. I think you're asking can you connect this mic, with a lightning connector, to a Macbook to capture audio from a screen capture. A question and a comment. Can't you capture the system audio, which would be much cleaner than trying to capture what is emitted from a laptop's speakers? But, even if you you electrically connect this to the Macbook, how would it mount? The Rode I-XY looks purpose built to mount to an i-device.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Screen capture WITH narration from the laptop mic. Sorry forgot to mention that part. =)

capuzino

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
Finland
What you could do is to use the recording app on your iPhone to active the microphone, then connect a 3,5mm plug cable between your iPhone's and Macbook's headphone port, change your Mac's audio settings so that the headphone port would work as an input and then record the video. Note: You can't do headphone monitoring during this.

But probably the most easy, but maybe not so convenient way, would be to record the sound with your iPhone and video with your Mac, and then sync them with a video editing software later on.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Can you set your headphone output as an input? I don't think so....but I will check. Good idea. Thanks. It might just be overkill anyways.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Can you set your headphone output as an input? I don't think so....but I will check. Good idea. Thanks. It might just be overkill anyways.
It is a nice mic, and I can see why you would want to do this. But I'm not sure how you could overcome the mounting problem (that is, you would have to old the mic in your hand, which brings along unwanted sounds). I don't think the headphone jack can work as input on the later models. So I think you need a lightning-to-USB adapter, but with the right gender. I haven't see one of these. Alternately, record on the iPhone and use Quicktime to bring the audio and video together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.