Rode VideoMic on T2i and Computer Mic?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by machomer, Aug 9, 2011.

1. machomer macrumors regular

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

3. apeden macrumors member

I have this mic, and I use it with my 60D. I have had it for 2 years or so and it is a great mic. I use it all the time for my films and my friends are always asking me if they can borrow it :D

4. Dale Campbell macrumors member

The issue is that the T2i has auto gain control.
    This means it boosts the gain in quiet sections of footage.
    For many reasons this can give undesirable results.
    Yes you can plug this mic in and it will improve the recorded sounded, but the setup in the T2i is fundamentally flawed.
    You can get around this by using the Magic Lantern Firmware hack which among other things gives you manual control of audio levels.

5. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Be careful with that Magic Lantern. A friend of mine has just bricked his camera with it. He has tried all tricks to fix it that he could find on the net... no avail.

Suggestion: Look for an external recorder. There are models from Zoom or Tascam for about 100 bucks. I have a Zoom H1 - the best thing since sliced bread.

6. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

Do you have wind noise? I've got the original dead cat but doesn't seem to be effective at all.

7. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

I have the T2i with the Rode VideoMic sitting on my desk right now. Getting ready to shoot with them this morning. To address some questions/concerns:

I've had magic lantern on my camera to disable AGC and the latest version works like a charm. You only brick your camera if you don't follow the instructions properly and even then all you have to do is remove the battery asap, remove the memory card. Low level format the card and re-install ML.

You might be able to plug in the Rode to the macbook with the line in. Haven't tried it myself.

No wind noise with the dead cat cover you can buy for it. Still hardly any with the wind sock that comes with it.

8. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Didn't work with my friend.

Nope, the VM won't work on the MacBook input without a preamp that gives a line out signal.

The original Røde dead cat seems to be pathetic (from what I heard). The Rycote model seems to be more advantageous.

I don't know what you are shooting, but when you shoot, keep the wind direction in mind, and position your mic and actors accordingly.

9. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

The Rode Dead Cat doesn't work for me at all somehow. No wind, was in tunnel. Just a quick walk, not even chasing the subject but the wind noise was still audible. If I turn the volume down (manual) any more everything would be too quiet and if bumped it up afterwards it'll be too noisy (60D audio not very good).

10. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

totally agree, the zomm-ie H1 is awesome.... well for the money ;)

"just doo eet" :D