Roger official unlock? Will this work...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Stig, Oct 11, 2011.

1. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Hey,

I called Rogers asking about unlocking my iPhone 4 so I can give it to a friend on another network (really I want to sell it as unlocked without jailbreaking, I know I can do that and I don't want to if I don't have to). They said that won't unlock an iPhone unless it is going to the Roger's network. They won't unlock a phone leaving their network.

So figured I could call them and tell them I have an iPhone from another network and I'd like it unlocked (really just going to give them my Roger's iPhone).

Has anybody tried this? Do you know if Rogers truly unlocks the iPhone or do they just re-lock it to their network? Will it be unlocked so I can sell it as an unlocked iPhone?

Thanks,

The Stig

2. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

My understanding is that if you have completed the full 3 year contract term you signed up for when you received that phone (assuming you got a subsidy), or if you bought the phone from Rogers outright, you just call them and they will unlock the phone for $50.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I don't even know if Rogers (or any other carrier) is capable of unlocking an iPhone. I've never heard of anyone successfully getting an iPhone unlocked by their carrier, whether at the beginning or at the end of a subscription.

Edit: Referring to iPhone 4 specifically, I know Apple did unlock 3G's for some customers a while back.

4. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Yeah, as I understand it that is right.

For myself. I'm cancelling my Roger's service and moving to Telus for the iPhone 4S. So I don't really fit into that policy.

So I want them to unlock my iPhone 4 so I can sell it unlocked on ebay (without jailbreaking).

Has anybody done this yet?

----------

Yup, they are capable of doing it. Even Apple says so on their website.

But they might be able to re-unlock it to their network as well.

5. peterjcat macrumors 6502

Carriers outside the US have always been able (and have usually been willing) to unlock iPhones originally locked to their networks.

6. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Unlocked!

I called Rogers. I tried to talk them into unlocked my iPhone for just the $50 while I was still on contract. They wouldn't move. They said they would unlock my old 3GS that I had after I upgraded, but I don't have that anymore.

In the end, Roger did unlock my iPhone but I had to pay $400 to get out of my contract. So now I'm not on a contract and I have an unlocked iPhone 4.

A bit pricey, but it doesn't matter to me because as soon as my pre-ordered iPhone 4s comes in with Telus I'm cancelling my account anyway and selling my iPhone 4. :) So either way I was going to have to pay the $400.

The Stig

7. Acronym macrumors 68000

I am also curious about this, my sister bought a (mutual) friends 3GS for 50$ (16gb) and wants to go to koodo, my friend switched over to fido so I am not sure whether her contract ended or she cancelled it, will my sister have to pay 50$ or will rogers do it as a courtesy service?

Also I bought a 3GS outright from rogers when it came out will they unlock that as well free of charge? I have never upgraded and my contract ends this month I believe.