Rogers 3G rural Manitoba !!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hotshotharry, Jul 12, 2010.

1. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

So I was just passing through Elie Mb about an hour ago and low and behold I noticed a 3G symbol on my phone ! It was there just long enough to snap some screen shots and run a flaky speed test ! It was definitely not edge!

Anyone else noticed any rural activity lately?

2. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I'm still dreaming of the day when AT&T will do something like this. Until then I'll have to be satisfied with being pleasantly surprised at the smallish (50,000 people) towns that are starting to get the upgrade around my state.

3. hotshotharry thread starter macrumors 6502

3G service in portage la prairie is intermittent !!!! Must be doing more testing on the network expansion !

4. JonnyDub macrumors newbie

Yeah, I live south of Winnipeg where we only get Edge and the past few days I've been getting up to 4 bars of 3G in some places. I was wondering if they were testing because yesterday I was back to 5 bars of Edge (normal), but now today again I've got 3G. :)
    By the end of 2010, most of the south of MB will have 3G, according to Rogers. If you haven't seen it yet, here's the link:

www.rogers.com/manitoba

5. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

I was at my parents farm near end of August and for the first time in 7 years of being a Rogers customer - I had cellphone service, no less on 3G! That was SWEET!

Rumours are pointing to a November launch at earliest. I was on the line with President of Rogers' Office today and asked and they had "no clue". I feel bad for MTS customers, they will never know when their network will be up

I was in Winnipeg/Birds Hill Park around the 11th and I had sporadic 3G at BHP during the evening, voice worked, data did not

CMON ROGERS!!!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/mts-rogers-speeding-up-wireless-data-103195349.html

6. hotshotharry thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like the network is going live now ! Trans Canada west of Winnipeg is partially up and portage la prairie is up !!!!

7. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

Where I'm in in Brandon, MB - the "3G" they're testing/going live with right now (whatever it is) is very unstable and only getting 1 bar indoors instead of 4.

Outside it's a bit flimsy connection as well but I was able to do this speed test:
    [​IMG]

Not GREAT for 3G but compared to the data I've experienced in Brandon for the past year and half, that's a huge improvement over 2kbps

8. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

It's 1PM on Saturday and 3G is still up, it appears that MTS is slowly turning on some of their towers, while Rogers is still unsure of the timeline for their portion of the network (but since theyre co-operating, the MTS tower I appear to be connected to, allows me to connect as if its a regular Rogers tower).

It still cuts in and out, but it's very usable, especially outdoors!

9. nelly29 macrumors member

I can't wait till the crank up the service just north of the city!!! About 2 km south of my house I get 3 or 4 bars on 3g but I get only 1 bar or no 3g on my property so I turn off 3g and go edge at home.....:mad:

10. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

In Brandon it was turned back off sometime on Tuesday. Cmon MTS/Rogers..

11. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

OK so the Rogers MB HSPA launch page has been updated to say that the network will go online "sometime in 2010." How awesome does it to live in a province that can't do a steady launch in under a year like Saskatchewan can? Ughh..

http://www.rogers.com/manitoba

12. klover macrumors 6502a

13. draz macrumors 6502a

Well... Sasktel/Bell/Telus has been working on their network longer, while MTS/Rogers started a bit later.... Even though all parties bought their spectrum at the same time =/

I'm hoping that it goes live by the end of the year. Instead of the "early part of 2011". And who knows they could even continue with their 3G teasers until then =)

14. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

Telus only announced intention to create HSPA network in Oct '08, their network was visible to any compatible device (in Winnipeg) only half a year later - of course it wasn't connectable.

http://about.telus.com/cgi-bin/media_news_viewer.cgi?news_id=956&mode=2

The spectrum auction I believe was for AWS.

As for 3G at Élie (@Klover) - I was in Winnipeg yesterday. From my previous experiences going to Winnipeg, 3G stops RIGHT when you pass by the penitentiary in Headingly, well yesterday I was getting solid 3G until right between the turnoff to Dacotah and Élie, it sucks that it didn't reach all the way to Elie, but it's getting close to town.

My dream would be to see Province wide 3G by halloween, while my iPhone 4 works better at my parents farm for sending/receiving texts than my iPhone 3G and previous devices.. there's still close to 0 service there with Rogers as it is

15. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

Just an update, launch is pointing to "sometime in March" by both Rogers and MTS reps, some are being optimistic and saying next month, but I'm expecting march at earliest. I just wish it'd hurry up already, it sucks being an an area that has no coverage as it is!

16. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

17. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Roblin area

I live about 5-10KM east of Roblin and as of this morning, reporting 3G on my iPhone 4!

I'm so excited I decided to join and post that. :p This is huge because right now, we have Xplornet as our ISP, which is just absolutely dreadful! Currently tethering and loving it!

Getting roughly 200kb/s! This is huge!

18. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

Still nothing in Brandon. I know people reporting coverage blips in Carman/Winkler area today. would be nice to be able to download faster speeds than .02kbps

19. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

Ok this is the final post - 3G appears to be permanently up (unofficially) in most of Manitoba. Cheers!

Speed testing tether wise seems to bring great download speeds (consistent with each different test location I test), but upload - somewhat worse than the local alternatives for highspeed internet.

Attached Files: