Rogers 3gs no term

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ottawaapplefan, Jul 18, 2009.

1. ottawaapplefan macrumors member

Does anyone here have a rogers iphone on no term.If so how is it are you happy with the phone and rogers.

2. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Ummm, I paid the subsidized price. I am very happy with the phone and Rogers doesn't seem all that bad, don't really have any complaints.

Just out of curiosity, why are you asking people who bought the iPhone with no term pricing how they like their phone, its the same as all the other iPhones out there?

3. ottawaapplefan thread starter macrumors member

I just wanted to see if people paid the no contract fee.As i am torn to get a 3 year term or non term.

4. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I need to replace my old Treo (on prepaid) and my stolen iPod, so a no-term iPhone seems a good idea. To be honest, I didn't even know there was an option for one until a couple weeks ago.

I work from home, and am rarely on the road these days, so I don't need a voice plan. What I am curious about is how useful it'll be without a dataplan--wifi range will be where it sees most of its action.

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Let me tell you something... there's no point of getting it unsubsidized.

Why? Because Rogers is a huge scam. No matter WHAT plan/pricing you want to get, most of them require a 3 year contract.

If you want to get any DATA from Rogers, which I'd assume you do, then you have to renew/sign a 3 year agreement...

If you have a 3G from last year with data and would like to get the 3GS at full price, go ahead... HOWEVER here's the thing... if you want to tether or send MMS, you need to change your package (requires a 3 year agreement) or if you don't care about MMS then you need to call in and have them add the SOC code for tethering, which will only work on any data above 1GB.

Here's the catch though. If you have a data plan from before June 10th (or 11th, or whatever it was), then you CANNOT have the SOC code added for tethering. What does that mean? You have to change your plan to the newer data plan in order to enable tethering, which requires a renewal of 3 years.

Now, I don't know if they changed the policy on the tethering thing, but I 100% know that you need to sign an agreement with any data and the majority of voice plans.

Pretty much all ******** if you ask me...

Just get an iPod touch... the entire point of an iPhone is to use it as a phone. The iPod touch does everything the iPhone does except make calls and (woopty doo) a damn compass.

There's no point in paying $699 (yes $699) for the 16GB when your not even going to use any of the "iPhone" features but mainly the "iPod touch" features since you don't want data.

6. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Yes. Your points are valid, but for me, I don't care about a data plan. I just want a phone for occasional use that syncs my contacts properly/PDA/Media player in a single package.
    A $700 iPhone is no more than what I paid for my (contract free) Treo five years ago, and it's a lot cheaper than the total payments under a three year contract. Even if it turns out that I want a contract in a year, I get one with the next version phone, and still come out ahead.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

... the iPod touch is exactly the same thing as an iPhone and it WILL sync your contacts properly, as well as your entire iTunes library.

You said you didn't want a voice plan, or data plan (since you said you'd use WiFi), so I suggested an iPod touch which is over half the price than an iPhone. But it's your money so do what you want with it, I just find it retarded to get an iPhone without a voiceplan and data for $700.

8. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

You're not listening. I don't want a voice plan, but I do want a phone, so what good is a Touch?

A 16Gb Touch is $329. A 16Gb iPhone is $351 more. Most phones average $200 and up when purchased without a contract, so a $151 mark-up for the convenience of a single device is quite reasonable.

If you want to spend your time telling people they should settle for less, there's a garbage strike negotiation with your name on it. In the meantime, you are answering questions nobody is asking.

9. demiurgical macrumors member

He's not telling you to settle for less. You're confusing in your post. You said you don't want a voice plan, therefore one would assume = I'm not going to make calls on it. Unless you plan to buy it with no term which = unlock? to use some pre-paid SIM card of sorts if you're not using Rogers voice plans how else are you going to make calls from it? Jeez must you be so mean, he was just giving you an option to save money with.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Like demiurgical said, your posts are confusing. You said you didn't want a voice plan, reading your post made me assume that you didn't want to use it as a phone.

And I could care less about the garbage strike because I'm actually located in Mississauga.

11. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Then that assumption is incorrect. I do use the phone, just not very much. I bought my Treo from Bell without a contract for $700, and maintain it for $10 a month using prepaid vouchers (not SIM cards). It has internet functionality, but I don't use that. I do want to replace it and my stolen iPod with one device, thus am interested in the responses sought by the OP.
    Mean? Then I overshot. If the question "Has anybody tried the salmon" is answered with "You would be retarded not to get the steak", then the appropriate tone would be annoyance. I apologize.

Again, see above. No term ≠ unlocked. Honestly, it's a good, affordable alternative to contracts as long as your usage is low. I use the Treo as a PDA quite extensively, but the battery is failing, and it doesn't get taken out very often.

Ah, so then you're used to the stink. Okay, I'm kidding on that one. :)

12. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

How are you going to use the phone without a voiceplan?

And secondly, are you already with Rogers? I don't think you can just walk into a Rogers store, drop $700 and walk out with an iPhone.

13. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

In theory, the same way I use my Treo (post #11).
    Until two weeks ago, I didn't think that was an option either. It was only when I saw the "No Term" option that I called Rogers and asked just that. According to the person I spoke with, I can do just that. And no, I am with Bell.

In deference to acfusion29's advice with regards to data, I recognize that a lot of apps require a data stream to work; but while they may be cool to have, I don't think I will need them.

When my Treo finally gives up the ghost, I'll find out for certain. In the meantime, I would love to hear from people who have bought their iPhone from Rogers under this option, and how successfully they have used it.

14. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Interesting, I would've sworn that wasn't allowed.

Anyways, hope it works out for you.

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Ya ... I'm interested in this no-term iPhone in Canada, as well.

Is there any link we can read up about this? I'm still not convinced you can get an iPhone no-term here.

I have friends that would love it if you could, though.

16. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Just asked on a different forum about this.

Anyone can go into a Rogers store and purchase an iPhone for no-contract price, ie. $699 or $799. But, note I think it gets a bit screwy with warranty and return policy if it comes to that.

And a big NOTE: The phone is obviously locked to the Rogers network, so you will have to unlock the phone in order to use it.

17. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Hmmm, ya you're right ...

Looky at what Google turned up:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/iphone_faqs