Rogers and BCE Already Have the Apple iTV in Their Labs, Controlled with Voice and Hand Gestures

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2012.

1. damir00 macrumors 6502a

2. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

With Bell and Rogers on the case I'm certain the cost of the unit and the price of the services offered will make this initiative far less attractive than it could be.

3. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

4. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

I'll be interested to see what Apple will be able to eke out of the larger US content providers. I suspect this is going to be a much harder task than getting their stuff onto iTunes in their current form. Microsoft tried launching TV through XBL and recently admitted to failure and gave up. I'm sure Apple will have more pull - but will it be enough?

5. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

11 Pages and i didn't see a single mention of MBSFN part of the LTE spec. (Even thread search didn't find it).

That would be a really obvious reason they would be talking to these companies. TV becomes the single Internet access point for your house bypass cable companies.

6. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    But wouldn't you be replacing the cable company middlemen with the likes of AT&T, Verizon, Sprint? One devil replaced by another devil is not necessarily better. I don't think anyone hates the physical cables- just the monthly bill. If AT&T, Verizon, Sprint becomes the new cable company, I doubt anyone's monthly bill will get any better.

And again, why do you need a whole new television for that? Why not just build that into an :apple:TV3 if Apple wants to work with existing partners to bypass the cable/satt players?

7. regularg0nz0 macrumors newbie

This leak, if it truly is one, means nothing.

In the 90s, Apple had hundreds of different prototype set-top boxes at various cable outlets for testing at the same time as they tried to release the Pippin, and it never led to any actual product release.

8. AgingGeek macrumors regular

One big area of concern.

I don't use a remote to tune my TV.

I tune my cable box, which feeds into my A/V receiver, which then displays the content on my TV as a monitor. And the sound goes from the receiver to the 5 speakers.

So how will an Apple TV work in an A/V receiver situation? Hopefully some sort of dolby capable "pre-out"?

9. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

No reason not to do both.
    Although I'd be hoping for the upgraded AppleTV2+ to be merged with the Airport Line.

10. eject, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

eject macrumors member

I agree.. I have same setup, I can't get my head around this.. Although my Apple TV is connected to av receiver, so complete bypass no need to switch between cable box and Apple TV.. all one thing (i hope)

11. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Tom Cruise's handling of images in "Minority Report".

No more couch potatoes, everybody's going to get super fit by watching TV.