Rogers and iPhone using VPN - costs extra?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by buttercup, Aug 7, 2008.

1. buttercup macrumors member

Hi Everyone

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I did a search and didn't find anything. I currently have an ipod touch and am waiting for my contract to expire to move top the iphone. I can connect well to my work via the VPN over wireless but I just heard from a colleague that his VPN doesn't work over 3G by default and it costs $10/ month to enable VPN over Rogers.

Can anyone confirm this? I went to Rogers site and was unable to find evidence of this but this just strikes me as absolutely outrageous.

2. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

It's data. I don't know if they can tell what kind of data you are using to bill you differently for it. It doesn't use any extra protocol or anything on the phone. I'm thinking it's a bogus claim.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

4. buttercup thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. I was just too nervous to call Rogers. Whenever you ask them "Does this cost extra?" Their inevitable answer will be "yes".

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

When I was on Orange, they had to enable VPN on my data connection before it would work. They didn't charge any extra but made you agree that there was no tech support with it. IIRC, VPN uses GRE rather than TCP so it is a different protocol (might be completely wrong on that, though)

6. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Because the phone had seperate protocol probably. The iPhone SDK only gives access to one thing.

On old phones they used to be able to tell if you teathered or if you were using data. Now, the data just looks like data.

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Oh how true! :) I'm on my first month with the iPhone with no data plan and the 3G off, but I've accidentally turned on a couple of internet apps when not connected to WiFi ... Which means I have 55KB Sent and 600KB received under Settings>General>Usage. :eek:

Now when I had my SLVR I accidentally hit the web browser button a couple of times but wasn't charged anything. This time around with the iPhone I'm worried that I might be paying the $0.05/KB access fee... however there's no way I'm calling to find out cause I'm sure then the answer will be yes! ;)

8. ViviGosu macrumors newbie

Recently jailbroken my iphone - 3.0 OS. And ive unlocked it and have an orange UK simcard in. However now i cant connect to my university VPN and i reckon its on Orange's end.

Phil A. could you tell me how i contact orange about it! i tried to ask them at orange but they had no clue what i was talking about.

Could i get some help please,

thanks for your time.

Michael

9. GamaFu macrumors regular

I am on Fido, and my iPhone can connect to VPN server just fine out of box.
    You should be able to get it to work without asking them to enable anything.
    Not sure about Rogers though, but since they're the same company, I guess it's the same.

10. 4r4nd0mninj4 macrumors newbie

Rogers says "No VPN soup for you!"

After spending over 70min on the phone with three different departments, I was told that Rogers no longer offers VPN packages for consumer devices. I was then directed to Rogers Business Services, and being a Sunday, I will have to wait till Monday to call.