Rogers Early Upgrade Pricing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steven.nevets, Mar 19, 2011.

  1. Steven.nevets macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    #1
    I've got an iPhone 3G that I bought in July '09, when the price went down because of the 3GS. It's now at the point where the battery is terrible, it's not working properly and it's incredibly laggy all the time. I want to upgrade to an iPhone 4, but I'm only 20 months into my 3-year term.

    Has anyone had any luck getting early upgrade pricing from rogers? I wouldn't mindpaying the $399 price they used to offer, I just don't want to spend $649.
     
  2. xAnthony macrumors 65816

    xAnthony

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2010
    #2
    Rogers lets you upgrade your phone 2 years into the 3 year contract. So after 24 months, you'll be able to purchase a new iPhone on the discounted price.
     
  3. Steven.nevets thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    #3
    I know I can wait another four months but I really want to upgrade now. Have you eard of anyone getting a small discount before their 2 years are up?
     
  4. xAnthony macrumors 65816

    xAnthony

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2010
    #4
    The last I heard when I tried to upgrade before the 2 year mark, they wouldn't allow me to at all. They said I would be charged for the full price of the phone. You could always ask, it won't hurt and you may get lucky. But I know after the 2 year mark they'll let you upgrade for sure.
     
  5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

    Reach9

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Location:
    In America
    #5
    Dude, i'm in the same boat as you, actually i've had this iPhone 3G since the first day it came out in '08. You've waited so much, i suggest you wait just for 3 more months when they announce the iPhone 5 upgrades. Rogers does some nice deals, i remember seeing some for iPhone 4 when it came out.

    Try jailbreaking and using FakeClockUp to speed up your iPhone 3G, i did and it's finally usable now.. nothing great though.
     
  6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

    Apple OC

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2010
    Location:
    Hogtown
  7. xAnthony macrumors 65816

    xAnthony

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2010
    #7
    We probably won't see the iPhone 5 in Canada until September.. and it's going to be impossible to get. The iPhone 4 was still selling out at every Rogers location in February. I don't know if the long wait is actually worth it. Especially when on an iPhone 3G.
     
  8. milani, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

    milani macrumors 68000

    milani

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #8
    ^ Not sure what you're talking about but the iPhone 5 will be on the same release cycle as every other iPhone. It'll come to Canada in July. Availability will depend on Rogers - I can't speak to that. I suspect they will get more iPhone 5s than they did 4s - I know they lost a lot of customers to Telus, which took pre-orders.

    You can upgrade before the 2 year mark. I was allowed to upgrade at the 1.5 year mark. You should ask.

    I would seriously recommend that you stick it out for the 4 months. If your battery life is an issue you could always just buy a dumb phone and use that for the time being. The benefit of waiting is that you'll know what the iPhone 5 looks like - if it entices you, you can buy that for your upgrade. And if not, you can buy the iPhone 4. Plus, as soon as the iPhone 5 is announced, the prices of used iPhone 4s will drop substantially, so you could always buy a used iPhone 4 at that time, as well.

    If you buy an iPhone 4 now you'll be losing a lot of money - it will drop to half its value in 4 months, and you'll be stuck another 2 years and end up in virtually the same place you are now with your 3G.
     
  9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

    heisenberg123

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    Location:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    #9
    go into a Rogers Store over the phone no chance they budge unless you go through retentions, i walked into a store one day knowing i wasnt even close to 2 years i was about 4-5 months away and asked if i could upgrade and they did no problem
     

Share This Page