Rogers/Fido customers first month data useage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by generationxwing, Aug 13, 2008.

1. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

I got my first bill today from Fido with my iPhone on it, and I used a grand total of 244 megs.

I'm pretty surprised at this, since I used the internet and Youtube features quite a bit. I expected closer to 400 megs.

Focus: What was your first month data use? Was freaking out about needing unlimited data worth it? Did anyone get any nasty surprises because your data isn't unlimited?

P.S. I'm willing to bet people were spazzing about nothing.

2. iphonics macrumors member

thats it???

when i signed up they gave me the 400mb plan and told me to call in to change it at a later date because the crashes system wouldn't let me take the 6gb plan... eitherway..... i exceeded the 400mb within 2 weeks... i had a $10 charge for extra bandwidth... of course i complained and got it credited, since i wanted the 6GB in the fist place... point of the matter is ... 250mb is nothing!!! expect to use wayyyy more... and another thing DO NOT trust the Usage meter on the iphone becasue its NOT accurate... it was reading just under 300 when i was already over 400<MB

3. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

My measure came from my bill itself, not the iPhone's counter.

4. TWLreal macrumors 6502

Have you been using Wi-Fi? They can't track your bandwidth usage through that, heck even your phone can't tack it.

5. aristotle macrumors 68000

aristotle

As of today I have:
    21.5 MB Sent
    294 MB Received

I have the 6GB option and I'm thinking of downgrading to one of the iPhone plans.

6. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

I rarely use Wifi, because on my typical day there's no hot spots that I can use. I have it at home, but when I need to use the internet 95% of the time I'll just use my iMac. I'd say my overall wifi vs 3g use is about 10% vs 90%.

7. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Why would you or they want to track it as your not paying for it. If you use Rogers as your ISP you can see what your total Internet usage is on their website.

8. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Actually your usage is in line with typical iPhone use in the States, the majority of users in the US last year used less than 400kb. My first 3 weeks was 300kb. Three weeks into my second billing period and I'm just over 100kb. I've found the phones usage meter to be pretty close to the actuall billing usage. I do use wifi at home and in restaurants and such when its available.

My first bill was $1500, my contract was filled out by hand because their system was down on opening day, I guess it didn't catch up before billing so I had almost $1000 in data charges. I called and they fixed it right away. But that gives you an idea what the charges could be with out a data plan.

Unless your some dork who watches You-tube videos 24/7 or tether it to a laptop you're not going to use the 6GB per month. The majority that whined about no unlimited data in Canada have no real clue about their data usage. That said the 6Gb plan is priced well, you really don't save much by dropping down and get less.

9. slicecom macrumors 68020

6.7MB Sent
    103MB Received

Pretty much everywhere I use it, there's a free wifi signal. Still, I'm glad I never have to worry about checking it. I cant believe people are complaining about the 6GB for $30 plan now. This is what we were all protesting for, Rogers gave it to us, and now you want smaller plans. :rolleyes:

10. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

Quote of the week, right there people.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I have to admit - I'm surprised by my low usage.

I consider myself I pretty heavy user for an "adult" (I stream audio, watch youtube / google video, email and IM whenever I feel like it, etc... but I guess I don't just sit on myspace downloading 30 meg profile pages all day, every day) and I'm barely topping 400 megs or so a month.

Part of the reason, I suspect, is that I have WiFi at home and most places I go (friends, coffee shop, etc.). I was kind of worried when I read people typing things like "OMG!! I *easily* use 3 gigs a week! LOLOLOL!!", but now I see they were just lying.

6 gigs (the Fido/Rogers plan) is basically 'unlimited' in my mind. Short of tethering your phone to your laptop and downloading bit torrents, I'm not sure how you could tap 6 gigs.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you talking about non-smartphone users, or do you mean megabytes? I have a hard time imagining anyone keeping iPhone data usage under 400 kilobytes unless they (a) don't add any e-mail accounts to it and (b) basically never use any other data features...