Rogers/Fido Iphones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abz786, Oct 30, 2008.

1. abz786 macrumors 6502

okay guys i got a really simple question here

I got a 16gb black 3g iphone with rogers
    friend has a 16gb white 3g iphone with fido

and we want to trade, so a simple sim card swap should work?
    let me know
    thanks

2. ryan.go.habs macrumors regular

99% sure it will work. Just try it, wont harm anything. Fido is part of rogers.

3. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

True, but Fido does have its own MNC (370), distinct from Rogers' MNC (720).

MNC, or Mobile Network Code, is a 2- or 3-digit code permanently imprinted in a SIM card which, along with a 3-digit MCC (Mobile Country Code), is used to identify the subscriber's "home network". Every country has its own unique MCC. Every network has its own MNC which is unique for the country in which it operates.

SIM locks essentially work by reading the MNC and MCC from the SIM card and comparing them to corresponding codes embedded within the phone. If they match, then the phone is allowed to use the SIM card. If they do not match, then the phone will reject the SIM card.

If the iPhone is smart enough to keep a list of multiple permitted MNCs (one for Rogers and one for Fido) then it might be as simple as swapping a Rogers SIM card for a Fido SIM card. Otherwise, you'd have to unlock the phone before you could swap SIM cards.