Rogers/Fido July 24 announcement leaked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cere, Jul 21, 2008.

  1. cere macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2008
    #1
    Many currently contracted customer with Fido/Rogers have been clamouring for Rogers/Fido to tell us what our options for buying the iPhone3G are. So far all they can say is we have 2 options: 1)Pay $200-$400 (+tax) cancellation penalty and buy phone for subsidized price or 2)sign a new contract and carry two. Neither has been seen as a palatable option, but at the same time Rogers/Fido reps told customers not to decide until July 24, when some new mystery policy would be announced. They could not explain why these details had to wait for two weeks after launch but told us to wait anyway.

    A Fido CSR over at Hofo claims this is what is coming:
    I realize that this is probably only interesting for Canadians and only Rogers/Fido customers that are not HUP eligible. But for those few around here, it might be helpful.
     
  2. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    #2
    for the price theyre going for on ebay, the cancellation fee looks like a pretty easy way to make some cash
     
  3. cere thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2008
    #3
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. The $200-$400 cancelation penalty is on top of the subbed price ($199-$299) so the price of the phone would be $400-$700. The cancelation fee to only to get out of current contract for the opportunity to buy the iPhone on a new 3 year contract. To then sell it on ebay would mean paying another $400+ cancellation fee to cancel the newly acquired iPhone contract. Add 13% tax to all of this and while you might make some margin by selling it, the upfront costs to do so ($900-$1100+) are prohibitive.

    In any case, if they will instead let you just pay a tiered 'admin' fee, instead of the cancelation penalty, to make you eligible to purchase the iPhone, that at least shows progress.
     

Share This Page