Rogers/Fido now unlocking iPhone officially - Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trekkie604, Dec 15, 2010.

1. trekkie604, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

At least one member there has been successful in unlocking their iPhone via the official Apple Whitelisting IMEI method. This is great, I will try unlocking my 3GS running 4.2 tomorrow :)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice.
    When is AT&T gonna do what every carrrier in the world does and unlock their customers phones once they paid full price or satisfied their contract terms?

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Apparently in Canada their is a bill in the works which would require all carriers to unlock their customers' phones once the contract is complete or subsidy is paid off.

The phone companies know this and have released this new policy (Rogers/Fido released it, Telus is in the works. others are bound to follow) in order to make the bill essentially useless and give them more power over their clients, i.e, to be able to charge customers for the unlock rather than having to do it for free once a contract is satisfied.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its only right and fair to unlock a phone once the contract is over. Paying all that money over multiple years and the phone to still remain locked is nonsense.
    But to also charge $50 to do it is BS. I know most European carriers charge around $10-15 to do it.

5. CZK macrumors 6502a

6. BeyondtheTech, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

AT&T has and always will think, act, and be a soulless multinational corporation.

Priority is profit, and they will do anything to protect that, even at the expense of their own customers and employees.

Even their latest "Rethink possible" campaign is nothing more than a vague attempt to tell you what to do, giving you a false sense of hope and leading you on with your money.

Don't get me wrong, Verizon isn't any better by any stretch of the imagination.

I suppose you just have to pick the lesser of two evils that suits your needs, then bend as many rules as they have done to you.

I just got a little settlement from Verizon for them screwing me over with ETFs, and now I got another card in the mail for a settlement with AT&T, too. They've changed the rules, bent the rules, even broken the rules, all however they see fit and solely for their benefit. They just got caught these few unlucky times.

Going back to your original question, if they're going to charge $20 to flip a simple switch for Internet tethering to ONE device AND make it a monthly fee AND not provide us with any additional bandwidth AND require us to have the newer, limited bandwidth plan AND charge us for overages, I think it's safe to say that we shouldn't expect them after three years to unlock ANY generation of iPhone. I'm basically forced to jailbreak my iPhone 2G just so I can use it on T-Mobile or just as a phone-less, old generation iPod touch.

7. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Seems they've got it covered that you can't get your device unlocked if you pay the ECF. Since if you pay the ECF to get out of your contract, you will no longer have an account, also won't have met your commitment and also won't have paid the unsubsidized amount.

8. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Not yet, apparently they plan to release it in early 2011.

9. taran420 macrumors 6502a

good for pre-iphone 4 phones since you can buy an unlocked iphone 4 at apple store

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Until they make it law, like in Europe. Money drives AT&T and Apple, so I don't see it happening soon. The U.S. is full of monopolies.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear that, I dont see it happening any time soon.

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There are very few laws regarding Mobile unlocking in Europe.

13. CZK macrumors 6502a

And now lol ?

( Telus unlocking iphones)