Rogers. How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hawkeye411, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Apparently, Rogers sent me a notice by mail, that arrived along with the piles of junk email they send me, that told me that they were going to cancel my internet if I didn't take their cable modem and disconnect it and deliver it myself to their store, wait in line and exchange it for a different modem and then drive back home are reconnect it because they needed to "upgrade" my cable modem. So ... just got a call from my wife and the internet wasn't working so she called them and they told her that they turned off the internet and would not reconnect it until we exchange the modem!!

I didn't receive any notice!! If they want to exchange the modem, why can't they drive out to my house and exchange it? I'm gonna call them later today to find out!

JEEEEEZ!!!! :mad:

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Good thing I use Bell. :D:p

Where are you located? I'm going to see if the internet is working at my gf's place tonight.

3. No1451 macrumors 6502

Heh, they made us do the same thing when we upgraded our internet, had to go out to the store and get a new modem. Frustrating because even after the new one was in, we didn't have any net for the next day.

If you think they are frustrating when it comes to internet service, you should hear the hoops they made me jump through to get an iPhone.

4. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yea .. I have an iPhone and it took 4 months for them to get the bill straightened out after adding the iPhone and getting a discount for having more than 2 Rogers services.

5. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Here comes another rant:

I called Rogers tech support and, after waiting on hold, they said that my modem does not work because they switched to a new technology in my area and I need to get one of the new modems. They told me to take it to the nearest Rogers Store. I told them that I would rather have someone come do the swap so she said that I needed to talk to customer service to have that arranged. So, they transfered me to customer service and, after waiting on hold, the woman couldn't find my account but eventually did. I told her that tech support told me that my cable modem needed to be swapped with a new one and that I needed to talk to customer support to arrange to have someone come out to do the swap so they transfered me to her. She said that tech support should have made the arrangements for me. She then put me on hold and when she came back she said that she contacted tech support and found out that they are switching to new cable modems in my area and that the old one needs to be swapped with a new one. She then told me that she could give me the location of the nearest Rogers Store and I could go there myself and do the swap so that it could be done today. I told her, again, that tech support transfered me to her so that she could make the arrangements to have someone come get the old modem. She again asked me to hold for a moment. About 10 minutes later she comes back on the line and apologizes for the wait. She then tells me that she needs to transfer me to the "cable swap specialized team" for my area and they can make the arrangements. So she puts me on hold and then she comes back on and tells me that she has the special modem swap team on the line and they have my account up on the computer screen. The guy introduces himself and asks me if I have the new cable modem there with me. I then go through an explanation of how I ended up talking to him and that I do not have the modem. He then proceeds to tell me that he can give me the location of the nearest Rogers Store so that I can go swap the modem. I tell him that I would like someone to come get the old modem. He says that he can do that for me and looks at his schedules and makes an appointment for next Monday morning. Then he tells me that he has turned my modem back on for temporary use. So I say .... so there isn't anything actually wrong with the modem? It still works and you turned it off? He says yes ... this way customers will contact them to make arrangements to swap the old modems!!! Now that's GREAT customer service ... What kind of a nob at Rogers came up with this scheme?!! :mad::mad:

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

LMAOOO, it still worked :p

that would SUCK if that happened to me.

7. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Sounds an awful lot like Comcast.

And personally, considering the trouble, you could have just gone up there and switched your cable modem out.

8. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately they don't offer DSL in the maritimes yet. If someone other than Rogers did, I would switch. I could switch to Bell but they would charge me an extra $10/month because I don't use their telephone service :eek: I'll keep an eye on the Teksavvy website in case they begin to offer DSL in the Maritimes.

Cheers.

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

AFAIK Teksavvy is/can be available everywhere Bell is, as they use the same infrastructure. If you call them, you might help generate enough demand for it.

10. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I sent an email to their customer support and someone actually got back to me! :eek: S/he said that they had been talking about the possability of providing DSL in the Maritimes but no decisions had been made at this time.

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

There's also no automated phone system; if you call, you go straight to a real person. They send you email alerts if they're going to have any down time, and when there was a problem with my sister's connection, they called her. Then, when they couldn't get through to her, they called me.

Kind of sad that quality customer care is such a shock, but there it is.

12. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Sorry you had such a bad experience!

I've dealt with every major TelCo in Canada. Bell (TV), Shaw (Phone, TV, Internet) and TELUS (Cell, Phone, TV, Internet) and Rogers for Cellphones.

All of the companies have their merits. I personally found that Rogers and Shaw are my favorite companies.

I switched to Rogers Wireless for the iPhone, and I haven't run in to any major issues. I found that hold times have been up to 30 minutes but that's nothing compared to what I've put up with on TELUS (wait up to an hour and 45 min, thank god for MR, haha)

I really hate to sound like I work for Rogers (I don't, trust me) but whenever there's a mixup with Rogers just remember: It could be a lot worse. You could have had a rep ranting about her crack-addict boyfriend, while not accomplishing any tasks that I requested (upgrade one plan, downgrade one plan, remove texting on one, and do a phone switch). That phone call to TELUS took me 2 hours.

TELUS has done about $1300 worth of billing mistakes, (adding unlimited email and taking advantage of that, then charging me for data I used, among other things). Thankfully, they credited it.

Bell has the worst CS imaginable. Their outsourced service simply don't understand what you're saying. You add a purchased TV receiver on your account and they charge you for 2 rented HD boxes ($20/mo.). Bell rectified this but it took quite some time.

Let's go to my latest Rogers experience. My iPhone has had a strong buzzing noise for a while whenever the headphones are in, and the build quality was less than impressive. I got a box mailed to me from Apple then realized just how long it would take. I figured I'd be at the mall which contains our local Apple Store so I might as well get a near-instant replacement there. Of course, they're out of stock. I looked at my options - get an immediate replacement from Apple for $30, or get a free one from Rogers. I chose the latter. Rogers said they'd ship it out yesterday (Monday) and it didn't get shipped. I was disappointed I had to wait for half an hour to get bad news, but what are you gonna do. It was free and the rep was very good to me.

So, as I said earlier - each company has it's downfalls and merits.

13. I'm 5 ft 8 macrumors regular

I'm 5 ft 8

Wait....What ? They want you to bring the modem to them ? Ya right....like that's going to happen. Thankfully I use TELUS and have no problems.

14. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I signed up for Rogers High Speed back when it was the @HOME system. Before they had counters in their video stores. VHS days too, IIRC.

This is how that call went.

Back then, I had the option for a static IP address. Since I would login remotely via Timbuktu, I wanted to keep it, but they were changing their systems to dynamic only (for residential use). Unlike the OP, they did call me to notify me about the change.

The next year, they raised the rates again, notifiying me by mail.
    The next time they telemarketed me:

Essentially, they are evil, but no less so than ANY business trying to make profits. I actually resigned with them yesterday, when my third party provider screwed up for the last time. You just need to keep your eye on them. That's all.

15. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Well Rogers delivered my new cable modem today. I had a Toshiba and now it's a Motorola. He said that the old modem would not be able to deliver their newest Extreme internet that they have been offering for an extra $10 per month. I have the Express service (7Mbps) and I just checked the speed of the new modem and I'm still getting 6500kbps download and 550kbps upload which isn't too bad. I don't think I will spend the extra money. Chances are I won't see a very significant increase anyway.

I'm guessing that the new modem uses different compression and probably uses less bandwidth?

The guy did look at me kind of weird when, after I let him into the front hall, I handed him the old modem and told him that I would install the new one myself.

Cheers.
    :):apple:

16. No1451 macrumors 6502

Weird that you get speeds like that, within 20 minutes of me connecting the new modem I was up to 9800+ download and 900+ upload.

When we got our line in we were not even given the option of self installation, but then they had to physically run a line into the house, so I sort of expected it.

17. suburbia macrumors 6502

Rogers or Bell??? I have Bell-- lesser of the two evils...

18. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I'm paying for the Express service with max speeds of 7000. The Extreme service, which is $10 more, has max speeds of 10000. They already ran a line into the house around 7 years ago when I originally had the High Speed internet installed so it was a matter of just unplugging and plugging back in.

Out of interest, I just ran a test here at work and I got 25513kbps download and 5470kbps upload :eek: WOW!!!

Cheers.

19. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I'm sceptical of any speed increases the Extreme service has and, if you don't download movies on a regular basis, you don't really need it. Rogers need a good kick in the arse, if you ask me. The new cell providers in Canada (when they finally appear) may provide it.

20. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

So ..... I recently tried connecting to my office computer using Screen Sharing (Back To Mac) but I couldn't connect. I use it once in a while when I forget a file at work and I want to work from home. For a few days I tried changing settings at work and then trying to connect when I got home but it wouldn't work. Today I thought that I would try to see if it had something to do with my connection at home.

I unplugged my Time Capsule (TC) and tried connecting my iMac directly to the new cable modem in case there was a problem with the TC. I reset everything but I couldn't get the iMac to connect to the internet. It kept getting a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address. I tried resetting everything a number of times. Then I hooked the TC back up and reset everything and it worked. So ... I hooked the iMac directly to the network, reset and nothing. iStat Pro was indicating that it couldn't get an external IP address.

I called Rogers and the tech had me reset everything again. He then asked me what the IP address was and it was 10.something.something.something again. He said ... oh you are connecting with a Mac so I said yes. He then said there is a known issue with certain cable modems not allowing external connections. He put in a ticket and said that it would be 3 to 24 hours and I should get a phone call when the issue has been fixed.

GEEZZZ .. The old modem worked flawlessly for 6 years but they forced me to upgrade and now this?? Rogers NEVER ceases to amaze me with their stupidity. :mad:

Has anyone else had this issue with a Rogers cable modem? I tried connecting my MacBook directly to the cable modem a bunch of times and twice I got an external IP address and was able to connect to my office computer. The rest of the times I got nothing.

21. philbeeney macrumors 6502

philbeeney

I use Time Capsule connected to a Motorola SB5100 modem (which I purchased myself rather than giving Rogers even more money). Using iStat my internal IP address starts 10.0.xxx.xxx and the external address appears fine as well.

I'm assuming that you have all the correct System Preference settings checked. I have Remote Login and Remote Management up and running and I can connect to my parents MacBook Pro in the UK without any issues, apart from having to set up their router to allow me access through the NAT and firewall.

22. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I am convinced that Bell is the worst company in Canada. I had their home phone and internet service for about three months, and it was a constant struggle.

1) I called to sign up, went through the process, and was told it would about $70/month. Great, sounds good.

2) Get the modem, set up my internet service, everything is going well... except no matter what I do, my one housemate's laptop (running Windows) cannot get online over WiFi. If he plugs directly into the router, no problem, but no WiFi.

I call tech support to find out what's going on... I'm connected to a call centre in India and a woman who barely speaks English and is clearly reading from a script, who asks me a bunch of questions, asks me to reset the router, and a bunch of other beginner things I'd already tried. Finally she gives up, says she'll look into it and get back to me within a half hour. Well, that was 18 months ago and I still haven't heard back.

3) First bill comes: $70. Great! I pay it in full. But a few days later, a mysterious charge from "Sympatico/Ottawa" I did not approve appears on my credit card statement. I call Visa to dispute said charge, they investigate and quickly reverse it.

4) Second bill arrives. The "Previous Balance" amount does not match the previous bill they sent me, and they claim I did not pay the previous bill in full. Since I have the previous bill, I know they're lying.

Now, obviously what happened was that the previous bill did not include the internet service (for whatever reason), and that's what the mysterious charge on my CC was. But here's my objections:
    a) I was told my monthly service would be $70. My first bill + that CC charge add up to more like $100.
    b) They did not send me a bill for internet service, but charged my CC without my permission. Visa agreed the charge was unauthorized, that's why I was credited.

I call Bell to ask them to mail me a copy of the bill that includes both phone and internet for the previous month. I want physical confirmation of what I'm paying for. They say they will send one. 17 months later, I still haven't received it.

5) Monthly bills continue to exceed the $70/month I was quoted when I first signed up.

6) Finally I get fed up. We're being overcharged, under-served, and my buddy still cannot access our WiFi. I call to cancel my Bell service. They say fine, your internet service will end on this day. Well, that day comes, and so does my new router from my new ISP. I'm having trouble getting the new router sorted, so I call the new ISP. They walk me through the setup, but I still can't get onto the internet. They investigate: turns out Bell never actually cancelled my service, so I have a conflict on my connection. They deal with Bell, and soon my service is working flawlessly. My buddy can even get onto WiFi!

7) Bell continues to send me promotional material begging me to come back. I've sent them letters asking that they stop, to no avail. They continue to misspell my name on their correspondence.

Seriously, in three months I had nothing but trouble with Bell. From being quoted misinformation, to unauthorized and undocumented credit card charges, too useless tech support, there is no redeeming quality to Bell. They are the worst company in this country, at least for customer service. Now, to be perfectly fair all of my problems were confined to the internet side, and maybe their phone and/or wireless side is better... but once burned, twice shy in my case.

I switched to Primus, and their customer care has been stellar. No problems with their phone or internet service, and any calls I've had to make have been dealt with quickly and professionally. And the price I was quoted when I signed up is the price I'm being charged!

23. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yea all the settings are correct. When I am connected to Time Capsule my internal IP is 10.xxx.xxx.xxx. However, when I connected directly to the Rogers cable modem it gave me an internal IP of 10.xxx.xxx.xxx and it couldn't connect to an external IP.

I would imagine that the simplest way to connect to the internet would be to connect a computer directly to the cable modem without using a router. However, when I do this I can't connect.

I'll give them till tomorrow and then I'll call them again. Like I said, I never had a single problem when using the old modem that they forced me to switch. And now there is a "known Mac issue with certain cable modems" lol