Rogers iPhone 3g - Pay As You Go, Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jare, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

So I'm going to be signing up my girlfriend to use my old iPhone 3g (unlocked) on Rogers.

I googled but couldn't really come up with much. I thought someone on the forum might have some answers for me as they might be in the same situation.

#1) With a pay as you go plan on Rogers, do they charge you if you use data on the go. Like let's say she's walking outside and opens up Facebook, do you get charged for it? I'd hope that it just wouldn't connect so she couldn't rack up the "phone".

#2) Is there some sort of bill you have to pay? I noticed it said that after you topped up that if you go "over" your minutes or whatever, it's 40c/extra a minute. Wouldn't the plan just not allow you to make calls after you've run out your balance? I'm a bit lost as to how this works.

If anyone can explain to me this it'd be most helpful as she just wants to use the iPhone 99% of the time on Wifi, make some calls and texts. Hence why I don't want to put her on an actual plan, just pay as you go.

The plan I'm putting her on is the Rogers "MY5 Prepaid" 20$/mo.

2. draz macrumors 6502a

Ah yes the fine print... Here we go:
    1. With prepaid I believe you will be directed to a site to subscribe to something called a Smartphone day pass for $2.99 for a 24hr period and use up to 20mb of data.

2. The applicable monthly fee is automatically debited from your account balance (sufficient positive balance required). If there is an insufficient balance in your account to cover your next recurring service fee debit, the per minute rate you will be charged for any calls is 40¢ until you re-subscribe to your current plan. As long as you have a sufficient balance in your account to cover your next recurring service fee debit, you won't be affected by this rate change. All other aspects of your service will remain the same.

So you have your account, and stuff money in it and Rogers takes money out of it for your plan. Keep a decent balance and your all set.

*edit* If you have a zero balance then no calls can be made.

And you can turn off Cellular Data in iOS4.