rogers iphone 3gs will i have to get data plan for it ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphone-3gs, Jun 20, 2009.

1. iphone-3gs macrumors newbie

Yesterday i was really happy and went to the rogers store to get my iphone 3gs and they said they had to add 30$ more for data plan when i only needed voice plan so that would be my voice plan (30$) and 6gb data (30$) = 60$ so i left the store unhappy went to other rogers stores they all said the same thing because for the iphone 3g you did not have to get data plan when will this happend for the iphone 3gs at rogers i only need a voice plan no data plan. Thankzz

2. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

What's the point of having an iPhone and no data plan?

3. iphone-3gs thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a high school student and we have wifi every where.

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I'm pretty sure that the subsidy is dependent on you buying a data plan. Theoretically you could cancel the plan, but then you're probably subject to the ETF. Your best bet is to talk to someone from Rogers. I really don't know what they will say. I will say though, wi-fi is not as ubiquitous as you might think. I think you would really regret not having a data plan.

5. iphone-3gs thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish they kept it like last year your choice of data plan or not. thankzz tho

6. milani macrumors 68000

milani

If it used to be that way last year than it probably hasn't changed. When I bought my phone on Rogers I never even considered not getting a data plan so I did not look into it. You should really call Rogers - and please post up what they say to help the next guy out.

Something to consider, though. For a limited time (until mid July I think) Rogers brought back the 6GB for $60 a month data plan. It's definitely worth getting onto if you can afford it - I think the regular plan is now 1GB for the same price.

7. iphone-3gs thread starter macrumors newbie

That is the thing i can't afford it and yes it has changed i asked about the old 3g and they said you dont have to get the data plan for it btw im on the phone with rogers ive been in line forever.

8. iphone-3gs thread starter macrumors newbie

Rogers

I just got off the phone with rogers and they said its different at each store policy and they said at the call center you have to get a data plan with any iphone they said call different stores and ask.

9. iphone-3gs thread starter macrumors newbie

Called again

Ok i called all the 14 stores close to me and they all said you need data and then i called back to rogers customer service and he said they are doing this because people would get bills for not using internet and then rogers would get confused and they dont know if that happened while there iphone was searching for internet or they were using it so they decided to put data plan on all iphones. ( I HATE ROGERS):mad:

10. Acronym macrumors 68000

its 30$ for 6gb not 60 and 25$ for 500 mb and yes you need to get a data plan for the subsidy price at rogers i was just there asking about upgrading to the 3GS

11. Doju macrumors 68000

Get a package then.

I have, iPhone Data Value Pack, comes with 500mb data, unlimited texts/mms, caller id, who called, visual voicemail ($35) and then $20 My5.

12. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Who ever told you that it was a store to store thing lied. Last time you also required a data plan to get the subsidized rate, there was no getting around it. Last time they also made all 3G users sign a form stating they understood that their phone would pull information from the 3G network at times, and that if they went over the alloted Data plan they would be responsible for the overage costs.

13. iphone-3gs thread starter macrumors newbie

How much ?

How much is the non subsidy price for the iphone 3gs with 3 year contract ? Thankzz every one for your help

14. slickrick23 macrumors newbie

i think you can cancel just the data plan but it might cost you $100, not 100% sure on this

15. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Yep, you're right. I just checked my bill. My bad.

16. Acronym macrumors 68000

I bought my 3GS out right for 811$

haha no problem