Rogers iPhone - Feeback Please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VanMac, Sep 3, 2008.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hey All.

So, the dust has settled a bit, and I'm thinking of picking up an iPhone at the end of the month.

I work in Toronto, and live west of Ancaster. How are you all finding the service and what not with Rogers. How are you liking your iPhone?

Any feedback appreciated.

2. awvan macrumors member

I have the same safari crashes as everyone else seems to have, the general contacts lag (though I have my office's 2800+ person contact list in there). And SMS and Maps are often slow to load. Stocks, Weather, and most other things work fine.

As far as connectivity issues or 3G speed, I don't think we suffer in Canada like AT&T does in the states. I've had mine for about 3 weeks and used in Vancouver (home), Kelowna, and Calgary without any issues. I have however had an issue setting up visual voicemail, but I haven't really tried that hard.

They also tried to bend me over the table when it came to the cost. I would ordinarily be eligible for an upgrade, but because it is the iPhone, they wanted to charge me $699 (16 GB). Service/reception-wise though I am quite happy. Better overall reception than my 8700 I found.

3. greg.richard macrumors newbie

I really want an iPhone as well, but with the 3 year plan rule, which will cost at least $70 or more, I am going to wait. I read that Bell and Telus may be releasing iPhone's with their own plans.. I am in no rush to get one, hopefully my parents got me one for Christmas! But no, I wouldn't get one, even though I don't have one. I tallied it up, and it will cost me well over $3000 to have a cell phone for three years! Kind of ridiculous if you ask me!

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I'm in Saskatchewan and I get pretty good service. I haven't had any dropped calls, and 90% of the time I'm getting full or nearly full bars of 3G. On the whole I'm happy with my iPhone, and with Rogers which I switched to from Sasktel.

5. xkRoWx macrumors regular

xkRoWx

Same goes for me. I got my iPhone from Rogers on August 15th (in Toronto) and everything's been fine so far except for the above mentioned. Then again I think that has something to do with the software issues (firmware) rather than a faulty hardware. I have 150 contacts and it lags for about 3-4 seconds before I can scroll through it. As for SMS, its usually the keyboard lag and Maps is working just fine, as far as I'm concerned.

I was eligible for hardware upgrade and the booth haven't charged me a penny for the upgrade to iPhone. I'm not sure how my first phone bill will look like but I have a general idea that it'll be somewhere around $95. $30 voice plan, $30 data (6GB) and $15 iPhone essentials (2500 SMS, Call Display, Visual Voicemail, Who Called) along with all the other hidden fees.

6. taran420 macrumors 6502a

it is impossible to get the iphone for free.......even if you are eligible for upgrade, and your HUP is tier 5, the lowest price for a 16GB would be $249........i think you might see an hardware upgrade charge on your next rogers bill

7. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

My iPhone connectivity has been pretty good on 3G and even Edge with Rogers (Vancouver). Only time the phone switched to Edge was when I went to a lake house in a remote area. Otherwise, only 2 dropped calls so far and data speeds seem decent.

Seems like Rogers is doing a better job than AT&T at keeping its 3G network up and running.

8. w...b macrumors regular

i picked up my first iphone on july 11th. i was one of the first to have it (8g). the screen ended up breaking and i called rogers in which they sent me a new one. by the luck of the draw i won a 16g white in a poker game, so now i have 2.

rogers has given me a lot of help over the past 2 months. from my screen breaking i got a $150 credit. they gave me a lot of problems with replacing it, i ended up talking to 6 CSRs and 3 Techs.

My connection is great everywhere except for farm towns like Caledon, Ontario. I only had a gprs (i think thats what it's called) which meant no gps map.

All-in-all rogers has been great with the iPhone.

9. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hey All.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like Rogers is not as bad as I thought it might be :)