Rogers *may* sold my phone that was 'guaranteed' - Need input! -

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by igglepuff, Jul 12, 2008.

1. igglepuff macrumors regular

so, long story short (lol or kinda short.), i went in friday morning, had an iphone at 930~ and they couldn't HUP, so its there, said they'd call when its 'ready'. Today, I called at 2ish to see what was up, knowing TONS of HUPs were done/being done, phone and SC ('till sc went poop again) adn even then, most got them all done over the phone. They just kept cutting me off saying well call when it's ready. with all the known stores doign HUPs today for iphones, i started to think they most likely ended up sellign it (accident or not) seeing as i was originally supposed to be out of town until mid week, and i told her that when i wen tin friday evening just to see fi it was maybe ready, saying i hope i have it, since ill be gone and don't want to lose it. She sad dont worry itll be there when i get back if not ready before - and now im thinking they sold it thinking they'll just replace it with out me knowing

As you can tell, I didn't go out of town :p Canceled.

So, seeing as it seems they were just stringing me along all today (the guy i spoke to when i called was liek did we call you? ... well call when it's ready' sounding like they we're doing them. That was at 2, i never got a call,m and know as of that point HUPs had been done in other stores for iphones. Like someone mentioned who does HUPs, it only takes 10min usually max.

So, i'm heading into the store tomorrow morning, and asking them if its ready, if they say no, asking them to try to HUP with me right there. If they 'accidentally' sold it, im going to tell them where to do, how to get there, and riding what, along with telling them to forget it, and order on the phone (or check a store nearbuy who had some today still)

Does anyone here believe I have the right/should call rogers and tell them the situation, see what they say and try to get some compensation of a sort (wasted friday, waited all today adn then they sold it?! and didnt tell me?!). Is it worth a shot to call and explain, maybe write the owner of teh store here, at very least?

Please, let me know your views on this, if they did in fact sell ti when they said it was guaranteed mine, on hold till they could HUP and activate it..sorry if this sounds like a pure rant, i'm ticked, and if they did sell it.. more then p*ssed, but really am looking for your opinions on what to do

thank you

oh, and sorry about the bad gram., i typed it up really fast just now, about to hit the sack :p

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My view is fairly basic. Technically speaking you managed to have some guy at some store tell you that he'll hang onto an item for you "guaranteed". He failed or someone else failed and they sold it. Do you have a right to be pissed off? Sure. However, I don't feel this situation warrants compensation. You elected to give up your Friday to get a material item in which you probably didn't need. I mean if you needed it then it would imply that you would not be able to live without it.

There was a technical situation that prevented you from getting the phone. A rather uncontroable situation that was most likely unanticipated by any retailer selling said phone. You gave up a Friday and then mentioned you may not be back for a few more days. Maybe they did whatever you think they did but again, I don't think this warrants compensation.

You could make a fuss at the store, start a post here that clearly displays you're angry, and then opt to let someone know how pissed you are by being rude and downright silly about the whole thing and hope for something in return. Or you can go in tomorrow and see if they have any phones. Chances are they may or better yet if you wait another day or so they may even have more. Alternatively, you can search around for another store that may sell them. Either way in due time you will have a phone and not being a total ass about it may allow someone to have a pleasant day. My guess is all these people having to deal with angry customers aren't at all pleased.

After all, it is just a phone and you've gone this long without it, I bet you can wait just a little while longer. If you cannot then resort to anger and see what happens.

3. igglepuff thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input, i forgot to mention, however, i had the contract signed, as she was trying to do the HUP when they decided to just 'hold the phones and call people when ready'. So, now, they have the contract and cant provide part of it .. I could easily live with out it longer, you're more then right.. my point was the contract was signed, wrapped AROUND the box with an elastic band and put aside with the other phonesand contracts they had started to do the same with on lay-away or whatever you'd like to call it. Another thing, when i call the guy or girl would put it on hold and go check (i would guess to look for the phone/contract) to actually try to be helpful, but always just come back 'well call when its ready' and hang up. It wasn't a 1 person 'well hold for you' thing, either. if it were, i could understand. A huge chunk of these phones were put on holding for the people across the entire country, rogers got like 10 phones out friday :p Of this stores 24 phones, they got 3 out; 1 hup (first person in) and 2 new activations from the time i was there till i left, after lunch, all the rest were put away on 'hold' with the peoples contracts. if they did in fact sell the phone that was with my signed contract, they could have the decency to tell me when i called and inquired, very politely about the status rather then just kite me on. I completely understand and see where you're coming from, it's the whole 'they have my signed contract and have been kiting me along rather then tell me' part that has me peeved..

4. Planet Telex macrumors member

I disagree with Jessica. If they in fact sold it, ask for compensation. Not something ridiculous, but a free case or dock would be reasonable. Ask to politely speak to the store manager and explain the situation.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Though I stand by my original thought that you are overly angry about the whole thing, this piece of information is rather crucial to the overall response. If you had your contract signed then they have failed to fulfill the terms of the contract as you have no device that allows you to utilize their service as a result of their error. As a result you are currently paying daily for a service and you should not be. Understand that I simply don't fight retailers for compensation when I don't believe I am truly damaged. However, in this case I would believe that I was damaged since when I receive my monthly bill it will be expressed that I am paying for a service that began on July 11th. Since I know I was not furnished with the device, I believe prorating my bill would be the most compensation I would ask for.

I think this applies whether or not you actually paid for the phone. It's not a law per say, it's basic business practice. They couldn't furnish you with the phone due to technical error so you did not pay. However, you signed a contract and that contract most likely will begin prior to you receiving the actual phone. If it doesn't, if it is actually dated when you do wind up with the phone then I don't think there are any damages and I revert back to the original statement of you not being owed much.

6. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Yup, +1. Get something for your time.

Jessica makes good points about the 'need' of a phone, but the reality is that if you spent your time at the counter and had a contract going, then they need to compensate you for your time.