Rogers' New US Roaming Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stanjensen, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Stanjensen macrumors newbie

I think it is new, it is $10.00 per month and you can use your traffic allowance for roaming in the US.

What surprised me is who they are using, I was expecting ATT.

I understand now they use more than one, depending on where you are, and you can switch, it takes a couple of moments

Attached Files:

2. Stanjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

Will be watching my account everyday, and will post my bill data here.

3. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Not sure if this is the same thing but I live in Windsor and Rogers considers Detroit/Michigan as local for Canada. I was told it's because so many students at our university complained ( the university is literally next to the bridge to Detroit ).

4. Macnator macrumors 6502

As far as I know, this $10 per month plan you speak of, is just a "Data Roaming Add On" and you get charged $1 for every MB you use. Instead of paying by the kilobyte.

I could be dead wrong, but I'm 95% sure I am correct.

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Your 100% correct. $10 add-on, then $1/MB used in the U.S.

So if you get this and use 75MB in the U.S., it'll be $10+$75=$85 on your bill.

6. Stanjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

Somethings seem to good be to true.

HOWEVER I did go to another Rogers Company store and asked him about this. and he also claimed that there is not data charge for roaming in the US

SO I asked if it could be added to my Rogers Stick, he said no, but it may in the future.

I called 611 again, to confirm no extra charge, if I do go over my gig I will get charged with a max charge of $500 per month for overage.

7. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Trust me, there is an extra charge. Its easy to get misinformed reps. Ask the guys on HowardForums.

Text straight from Rogers site.

$10 + $1 per MB. If you use 1GB with this add-on, you'll end up paying $1010.

What you should have asked the rep for was the $40/1GB Canada & US One Rate Data Plan which is only $10 more than the $30/1GB plan for Canada.

8. Stanjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what I have.

Are you saying there are extra charges on this, if you stay in your 1 gig limit?

9. Stanjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

my main comment was, they are using T-Mobile for a partner

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird since the iphone cant use Tmobiles 3G service. Only Edge.
    Maybe Rogers got a better deal on data thru tmobile than what AT&T would charge them for roaming international devices on their US network.

11. Stanjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

12. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Well in the first post, you made it seem as if
    you had the $10 add-on whereas the $40 plan complete replaces the $30 plan. Only difference to the end user is $10 and U.S. Data.

T-Mobile and AT&T are roaming partners with Rogers. Whichever signal is stronger is usually who you'll connect to. I think it may be possible to force the phone to stay on AT&T in settings. Bell and Telus only have AT&T as a roaming partner.

13. Stanjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

a lot of us have been so burned by telecoms.

I have only been in the US a few hours, will see how this shows up on my bill.

14. Macnator macrumors 6502

I wish Rogers would let you add the $40/1GB One Rate data plan for the US, without penalty. By penalty I mean that you lose whichever data plan you currently have, mine being the 6GB/$30.

Really sucks that you can't just add the $40/1GB and remove it when you return to Canada. :(

I'm going to the US thursday and had to add the $60/75MB US Data Travel Pack. Ouch. :eek:

15. Stanjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

I also had the 6 gig plan and I did drop it down to 1 gig, I had only gone over 1 gig a few times, and I could have avoided that.

As I travel often to the US, often 2-3 times a week, I would rather have this.

Plus, it makes my american iPhone friends jealous when they can see me tethering on ATT :)

16. Stanjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

Turns out not all they said was completely true.

I have had problems tethering. call in for support, all the folks said I should be able to tether (except the last one) said I should be able to tether here in BC.

Turns out, you cannot with this plan, even though the sales and technical reps are not informed.

So now, they will not return what I had, even though they did not deliver what they said they would.

Anyone else have this problem?

17. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Not surprised. The reps are clueless. If I were you, go over to howardforums and ask over there.