Rogers stops (officially) activating iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kdarling, Oct 9, 2007.

1. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Heh, so many people activating in Canada, they had to tell their stores to stop.

Roger tells dealers...

At least officially, that is. Some are, some aren't.

"However it's still possible to activate an unlocked iPhone -- as long as the Rogers store doesn't know it's an iPhone. Other vendors will simply disregard the orders."

Probably because the phone is supposed to come out soon in Canada, for $800 and no special data deal. Boy, Rogers sounds awful.

2. Tsuius macrumors regular

Rogers

Apple has been able sell over a million iPhones in US and will start selling them in Europe in November. In the mean time Rogers has nothing to announce and is going out of their way to make it difficult to activate unlocked iPhones. Very bad corporate image in my view.

I don’t see what the big deal is anyway. If you want to activate an iPhone on Rogers or Fido just set up a new account and buy a SIM card from them. They don’t care what phone you will be using as long it is a GSM phone and it is unlocked.

By the way if (not when) the iPhone ever comes to Canada it will cost $449.00 Canadian.
    I am basing this on the 16GB iPod touch price: $399 US (same as iPhone) = $449 Canadian. No one would by the iPhone for $800 and Apple knows it.

3. kdarling thread starter macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Hope so.

All the news rumors run the other way:

iPhone $800 in Canada

No iPhone at Holt Renfrew

4. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

That's awlful. 449$ Canadian for a 399$ 16GB iPod Touch in Canada? .... The Canadian dollar is worth more than the American now...

5. glennyboiwpg macrumors 6502

Yes thats true but americans get a certain gitty joy out of screwing canadains out of our money/resources.

And we let them do it every time.

6. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I wonder if an unlocked iphone could upload the canadian firmware version when its out.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Americans don't, corporations do. It sounds like your own Canadian company Rogers is doing the screwing. Looks like this batch of vasaline tastes like maple syrup.

8. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

:Dlol:D

9. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

Corporations don't, either. There's a pricing structure that's been in place for decades that has fallen out of step with currency rates that have changed very, very rapidly.

10. OCOTILLO macrumors regular

Canadian iPhone Prices

Do those Canadian price quotes include VAT?

11. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Wishful thinking I'm afraid. The price in Canada will undoubtedly be more than simply converting currency as are most US goods in Canada.

12. glennyboiwpg macrumors 6502

Please... When we didn't go to iraq you closed your border to canadian beef cripling our cattle industry (Destroyed many peoples lives from my home town) over a technicality.

And when the international courts decided in canada's favor regarding BC lumber taxes desputes and ordered the US government to pay back the taxes that were collected, they just... didn't. (I think that came to a resultion eventually but there shouldn't have any question once the court made the decision)

Need I go on?