Rogers To feature IPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gullaa, Jun 3, 2008.

1. gullaa macrumors member

gullaa

So i was in a rogers store and asked the sales man. " So are you ready for next week, for the iphone launch?" he then said "yea, but Rogers will not be launching it till mid august". So my question is, if steve releases the iphone on june 9th in just the U.S i think the following weekend i am gonna gonna be driving down to Buffalo,New York, Do you think the IPhone will be locked to Carriers, or do you think that rogers or AT&T will brand the phones with there own software?

2. frosse macrumors 6502a

It will definitely be locked to AT&T but will not feature any custom software from the carrier, Apple wouldnt allow it for all the money in the world :D

Why not wait until Rogers gets it and check out the deal first. :)

3. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

My guess is that it won't ship because it needs FCC approval in the US. The iPhone was announced in Jan 07, but wasn't sold until June.

I reckon it's only an announcement with a "Coming Soon".

And the carriers, I am kinda glad I'm in Australia, we have legislation to stop mobile phones being exclusive to carriers. Mind you, this is probably one of the reasons why I've been waiting 12 bloody months for the thing!

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

We should all go to our local phone provider shops and casually bring up, "So hows it going getting ready for that iPhone release? Must be pretty stressful!?"

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

As soon as the FCC approves any telecommunications device for sale in the US, the documentation surrounding the approval becomes a matter of public record.

However, fhe FCC has regulations which allow a manufacturer to file its paperwork and get all the regulatory hurdles out of the way in advance, but defer final step of actually rubberstamping the approval until a predetermined date. It would be totally possible under this framework for the FCC to publish its approval on the very same date that Apple starts selling them.

6. gullaa thread starter macrumors member

gullaa

Rogers may discount the iphone but i am on a 3 year contract started a year ago..so i won't even be renewing a contract..so either i buy it from the U.S or wait until august when rogers has it( but can't wait that long)..besides i'm hoping the apple store here gets the phone the same time as the apple store in the U.S

7. mariokarter macrumors member

possibly. Lets face it, Ted can play a harder ball than steve, I think finally conceding unlimited data would be good enough to get first crack at the 3G iPhones.

8. candan9019 macrumors regular

Those sales guys know about as much as the rest of us, well probably less. They just want to make a sale right now so they figure if they tell you the iPhone isn't coming until August then they might sell you another phone.

From what I've heard it will probably be late June early July.