Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ktmelvis

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
The Enchanted Forest
Well all know how scummy the carriers are, especially in Canada, I called Rogers for info and to activate my iPad as I had a free sim thrown in I talked about the flex plan as I only want some data for email and a apple sms (if it even works on their network), then he told me about LTE and the guy tells me its $50 a month but if I agree to a 1 year contract, I can get it for $35 a month, I told him wait a minute, first of all, this iPad is paid for, its not being subsidized by Rogers and now you want to play the contract game by offering me cheaper monthly rates for a contract, is Rogers subsidizing the air we breath?, that was enough to tell him, I don't want to do business with Rogers, these carriers sure love their contracts.

So now I went with Bell flex, a company that is just as scummy, but they didn't try to up sell or get me into a contract, maybe Bell guy at the store didn't want to ask me as he could see I was pissed as I told him I want the flex plan and thats it, ok now Ive entered Bell hell, but without any hooks in me.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
They're not subsidizing the iPad for you. They are offering to give you a discount if you commit to a one-year contract. That is a very common practice.

DopeyFish

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
I think their LTE flex is unlimited for months 1-2, and doubled 3-6 hence the contract

(as seen on Rogers.com/iPad)

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
there is no contract on any of their tablet plans (at least for the iPad). btw, $50 for how much data? cuz the flex plan is $35/5Gb.

and yes, the promo with double the data does not require a contract.

i personally went with Telus as they have the extra middle tier $20/100-500Mb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.