Rogue receipt from Georgetown Apple Store

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by budselectjr, Dec 10, 2013.

1. budselectjr, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Anybody else get a email saying you bought something? The receipt claims that I purchased two lighting to usb cables for a total of $61.34 at the Georgetown Apple store in D.C. As I live in Minnesota it was not me. The last four of the credit card does not match any of my credits cards nor is there any suspiciousactivity on any of my accounts. Just weird.

I opened the pdf attachement of the receipt on my sandboxed PC but there is another link in the email to "to tell us about your experience" so I assume this is a phishing attempt.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Or someone gave the wrong email address when checking out at the Apple Store.

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

Pretty sure that's all this is. I don't think this is a phishing scam.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Although it is probably just a messed email, I wouldn't respond to the email. Just delete it.

5. localoid, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Apple.com has a knowledge basic article that explains how read email headers to see where the message really originated from: identifying fraudulent "phishing" email

Reading headers, from top to bottom, the last "received" line should probably* have come from: "orders.apple.com"

* Can someone verify this? That (orders.apple.com) has been my experience, if memory serves me correctly. But that's hardly conclusive... ;)