rokinon 85mm and 14mm

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by slieu92, Apr 3, 2011.

1. slieu92 macrumors regular

hello special interest,
    Is there anyone out there that has used either one of these manual focus lenses for canon? Any input is appreciated. Thanks :)

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

Just picked a Roke for the Canon. The 14mm 2.8 I want to try out, and ofcourse I WILL buy the 35 1,4 when released in the near future (hopefully by May/June).

Here is a forum at FredMiranda that is specifically "alternative" lenses (ie; Zeiss, Rokkor, Olympus, etc) on different bodies.

Here are some threads on the 85mm. I have posted some shots in said threads (same username) : Just a warning..there are SOME AMZING results!

Rokinon/Vivitar/Samyang/etc

Samyang 35mm 1.4

I will post an image here, just a second while I convert from TIFF>JPEG

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

Here are some images. These are mostly just tests, as I haven't really gotten the chance to shoot with this lens. Some of these shots are to test the "bokeh", which I really like. All shot on a 1Ds. I do not have the AF confirmation chip added to this lens, although you can buy a dandelion confirmation chip from ebay seller "Big-IS", as many FM users swear by this guy!

This first one was shot through my window as to not scare away the birds. Basically just to test wide open

[​IMG]

About a week until full bloom..
    [​IMG]

again just a wide open test.
    [​IMG]

Tripod mounted yesterday early AM.
    [​IMG]

I had to hurry with this one, the train was coming..

[​IMG]

What body are you going to use? If you are on a crop, I suggest that you use LV (live view) if you have it. I don't have that on my camera, but I have a super bright viewfinder which helps a TON.

4. gameface macrumors 6502

I have the 85mm 1.4 and just got the 8mm 3.5 fisheye. Haven't really squeezed off too many pics with the fisheye but here are a couple with the 85. I have seven lenses and the Rokinon is one of the cheapest but absolutely one of my favorites. (note... live-view is very beneficial with this lens as sometimes, even with the nice viewfinder on the 7D it is hard to get accurate focus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

Nice shots! if this lens has autofocus, it probably would cost about the same as the Sigma 85 1,4 ($1000 ish). I just hope the 35mm 1,4 is as good as this one, which I have no doubt it will be! Hopefully the price will be close to the same..

6. slieu92 thread starter macrumors regular

i have a t1i and have been slowly going into video and the fact that these lenses have aperture rings really help out. thanks for the responses, i was hesitant at the wide open apertures because my rokinon 8mm fish eye is only useable at f8 and beyond.

7. gameface, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

gameface macrumors 6502

Thanks! Some people have beem comparing it to the Canon 1.2 and the Zeiss both of which are well over $1000. Seriously, this was the best $269 I have spent since I have been shooting!

My copy has a bit chromatic aberration in the greens wide open. Nothing a little post won't fix but it isn't ideal. Notice the green in the fence behind the bike picture and the fence to the left in the bench picture I posted earlier. It's not as noticeable in other places and certainly liveable. I took a few tests with my 8mm today and noticed they were soft wide open. May have to crank it down a bit to make it useful but it was just too dark for f8 inside today.

Took a few snaps with the 85 on set today. Nothing special, but just a couple more for your perusal.

Attached Files:

8. skymonkey macrumors newbie