Roku 3/iPad Air video question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by davidra, Aug 30, 2016.

1. davidra macrumors 6502

I'm assuming a Roku thread goes here; if not feel free to move it. Have a really weird thing going on with Play on Roku. It will only play videos if they are actually in the "photos" app on the iOS device. On my iPhone, I am able to cast photos, music and videos from my iPhone to the Roku 3. However, downloading the same Roku app to the iPad, it only recognized photos and pictures; when click on videos, it says "No videos available" when there are clearly videos in the Photos app. Side by side, same Roku app, same Roku 3: the iPhone casts videos and the iPad Air doesn't. Roku support was no help, just saying that maybe the iPad was incompatible but they really didn't know, and their list of compatible devices includes the Air....and it works for music and photos. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

You just need to make sure the physical video files are actually located on the iPad.

3. davidra, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016

davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

There are 25 videos on the iPad, and they are seen in the videos album, just like on the iPhone.

But: I do have the iPad set to optimize; that may be the problem. Not sure how low your storage needs to be before it keeps stuff in the cloud.

4. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

I think there's an age part of that too. Older stuff copied out and you're left with the cloud link. Had an angry wife try to kill me last week after the security update because of her 11000+ photos only a few hundred showed right after... 128 GB device with plenty of room to spare even with that insane number of shots.