Roku 3 with Internet sharing (10.6.8)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by iphoneZ, Oct 12, 2014.

1. iphoneZ macrumors regular

hey there got a Roku 3 today. I use an old macbook with os x 10.6.8 and internet sharing enabled as my home wifi router. it works great but the Roku will not connect. everything I've tried so far from googling has failed. (e.g.. disabled Roku ping setting, turn pw on/off of wifi, 5 char wifi pw, changed wifi channel to 6).

any suggestions on how to get this piece of crap Roku to work before I take it back tomorrow? thx

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

At first I was confused and then noticed that you have "internet sharing enabled as my home wifi router." I've never used that feature myself, and I'm not even sure how it works. I guess your MacBook creates its own WiFi network that other devices can connect to, and routes their internet requests through its own internet connection (via Ethernet?).

Has your setup been working with other WiFi devices, or is the Roku the first device you've tried it with?

I have a very old Roku XD|S and in the settings screen I think I remember a status display. Maybe that would tell you something helpful?

(One thing I like about my model, besides it being cheap on eBay, is that it has an actual Ethernet port on it!) Hope you get it sorted out!

3. iphoneZ thread starter macrumors regular

Yep no problem with any other device to date, just the Roku. Unreal that the would let the in boxing experience be so bad, how frickin hard is it to connect to a wifi network??