Rolex Day date

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Adolf, May 26, 2015.

1. Adolf macrumors member

should i get the rolex day date or rolex submariner

2. Adolf thread starter macrumors member

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

IMO, the President is a classic and gold Subs are tacky, but that's just me.

I'd go for the President every time.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of either...the Datejust is the only one that's ever really appealed to me(and is what I wear every day) but to each their own.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Bunnspecial: Must say that I agree with you entirely about the attractiveness of the Datejust.

I don't have a Rolex, (and don't much care for either of the two choices nominated by the OP, least of all the Submariner) but - if I ever were to buy one, the Datejust is the one I would choose.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Is Adolf your real name? I kinda figured parents stopped naming their kids that around, oh, I dunno, 1945.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Well then the answer should be obvious.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, names sometimes inexplicably fall out of fashion and use for the strangest of reasons...

I think that names such as Siegfried and Brunnhilde also fell out of use much around the same time in those parts....

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Like I said, the Datejust is the only Rolex that I've ever liked enough to actually want to wear one. I'm partial to the two-tone with a Jubilee bracelet(what I have, but for that exact reason), but have seen very few DJs I don't like save for some of the very recent models. The classic all stainless or white gold ones are great also

I don't mind the overall look of Subs, they're just not something I would wear. To me, the classic stainless and black dial along with a black or "Pepsi" bezel is a great look. I also like the original Explorer.

Gold on a Sub just goes overboard, though-they really are designed to be overbuilt(although the original Sub is small by today's rediculous standards for watch size) and could be properly classed as a sport watch. Gold defeats the purpose, and to me it does nothing on the watch but add a lot of "bling."

The President(day-date) looks "right" in solid gold, but it's one of the few Rolexes(Rolexi?) that do to me.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To be honest, the Datejust models (which are about the only Rolex watches) that I actually really like - and about the only Rolex watches that I would ever buy and wear - are those mid-sized understated sober classics from the 1950s, the ones that come with dauphine hands, and sport that classic elegance that I find attractive.

Interesting what you have written about increased and what you have termed 'ridiculous' watch sizes these days; I'm inclined to agree with you. Gigantic - and bloated looking some of them, - not to mention bling bling.

11. Melrose, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015

Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I'd say go with the Milgauss... less tacky. It's amazing how some high end watches still manage to look like dollar store trinkets purchased by so many obese state aid recipients. And I love a Rolex.

Not to sound classist.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Oh, Melrose.

Well, what can I say? Each to their own prejudices.

Now, my classist prejudice suggests that those who wear such monstrosities are the crass and crude inheritors of the earth, those who admire the values of wealth greedily and disgracefully acquired and see nothing wrong and everything right with flaunting their flashy and bling bling horrors on their wrists.....

13. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Don't get me wrong... I don't judge people who wear Rolexes. The big gold watches - of any kind - just look gaudy to me. Gaudy, to me, looks cheap. Someone doesn't have to have a cheap watch to have cheap taste. :eek: :D

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

No it sounds like you judge the poor.

15. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Being Poor != Most welfare recipients

...but that's off topic. :)

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Indeed. Well, should you take the time to explain your presumptions and should you manage to find apparent confirmation of them (perhaps the study is buried somewhere in the dark recesses of your HDD) I'd be happy to look over the methodology and conclusions.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I am not a fan of loud, gaudy, big gold watches myself, irrespective of who wears them.

18. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I agree. I love the quality of Rolex; but honestly the reserved nature of a Patek is very classy. :)

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, well, the acme, apex, summit of meticulous watch design and horological achievement…..what can I say?

Other than the Patek is gorgeous, understander, elegant, timeless, classic and simply sublimely beautiful…….probably not much…..

20. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It's hard to beat a Calatrava for a classic, understated, elegant time piece. I've had(and sold) several Patek pocket watches(don't have one currently-I'd rather sell and use the money to buy an interesting American PW) but if I bought a Calatrava I'd probably have to hold on to it for a while. Needless to say, it would get some wrist time.

Being deeply interested in horological history, I also appreciate the Complicated watches immensely, but most of the current Patek ones are not to my taste. Again, I deeply respect and appreciate what they are and what's involved in making them(having serviced my fair number of chronographs and even braved a repeater, I have an even greater appreciation for them), but can't see myself wearing one of the wristwatch. One of the modern Grand Complication PWs would certainly be something that I'd enjoy :) .

I just plain don't like the Nautilus series.