MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ROLI, the company that makes a fun music creation system called BLOCKS, today announced the launch of its next-generation Lightpad Block, the Lightpad Block M.

The Lightpad Block M is a light-up square grid that supports pressure-based multi-touch gestures to make music. The Lightpad M can recreate the sounds of drums, cellos, flutes, and hundreds of other instruments with just a touch.

Compared to the previous-generation Lightpad Block, ROLI says the Lightpad M is more sensitive and precise, and it's 50 percent brighter with a deeper, softer silicone top layer that enhances control and a higher contrast display that offers up a wider range of colors.

The silicone of the Lightpad M also includes new tactile microkeywaves for better feedback compared to the flat surface of the first Lightpad Block.

The Lightpad M Block is designed to work with the other components in the ROLI BLOCKS modular system, including the Seaboard Block, the Live Block, the Loop Block, and the Touch Block.

rolilightpadm-800x533.jpg

ROLI's Lightpad M launch is accompanied by a new version of the NOISE app that goes along with the ROLI BLOCKS. According to ROLI, the app adds new sounds and improvements to clip launching, clip editing, and user navigation.

There are also two new Treble Quartet and Bass Quartet soundpacks in the app, offering realistic cello, violin, clarinet, and saxophone sounds. Bass Quartet comes bundled with the Lightpad M.

ROLI is also introducing a NOISE audio unit for GarageBand and integration with Ableton Live Lite.

Lightpad M can be purchased for $199.95 from the ROLI website, and it will soon be available at other retailers, including Apple retail stores.

Article Link: ROLI BLOCKS Modular Music System Gains Next-Generation 'Lightpad Block M'

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'd love to try out one of these. It looks like an interesting way to make music. But it seems like this concept is more useful if you have about three or four of them; in that case the cost could add up quickly.

Comment

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'd buy them in an instant, even multiple ones.
If only I had the talent to do more with them, than mess around and made silly random noises :(

Reactions: needfx
Comment

groove-agent

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
I’m trying to figure what this has to do with Macrumors. Maybe just a paid advertisement?

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'd love to try out one of these. It looks like an interesting way to make music. But it seems like this concept is more useful if you have about three or four of them; in that case the cost could add up quickly.

I’m trying to figure what this has to do with Macrumors. Maybe just a paid advertisement?

I just re-checked the price of these on Apple's website (Accessories) - @groove-agent, there is your relevance - and these components have dropped in price SIGNIFICANTLY in the last 12months. Prior the original ROLI PAD (similar to a KORG touch/sample transform pad) used to cost $999CAN ... now it's under $300CAN.

I think I'll check out the full range this Christmas.

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Damn! You guys REALLY need to see the Roli Seaboards ... even if you use AbletonLive their now compatible (mixed).

Here is the GRAND (as in Grand Piano). The smallest Seaboard the size of 2 Blocks manages 2 Octives.

Seaboard%20Grand%20types.jpg

Seaboard

ROLI_Seaboard_Block_and_Touch_Block_10_High_Res.jpg

Seaboard Rise-25
lg_67489d33ca0a117b390fd7de6ae98cc5.jpg

Seaboard Rise-49

roli-seaboard-rise-49.jpg

connected to Mac

seaboard-rise.png

RISE_Max_No_Copy@1x-2-480x240-c-center.png

Comment

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 601
Jul 22, 2002
Could be the broad iOS compatibility, too. Due to the fragmentation on the Android side, they’re only compatible with the very latest devices.

BTW, if you can hum, you can do this. :) My bad experience with music creation was because I didn’t know “what note goes next”. This lights up the notes so you can even hit random ones and you’re still on key.

The expense is related to how much you realize you don’t like using the phone. It goes like this.

You get the lightpad, you’re enjoying it, but don’t like the fact that you’ve got a good jam going then have to go back to your device to start recording, so you get the Loop block. Once your jamming like that, you find that you’d like to change the scale or chords, but again, you have to go to your device. So, you get the Live block to do that. Now ALL of your control is on the musical device... EXCEPT for when you want to record in a new Loop cell. So you buy a second lightpad to get that. Now, you’ve got all these lights and sounds in front of you and only go back to your device when you want to start a new song.

You really only NEED the lightpad if you want all the expressiveness, but you may find that once you get accustomed to it, you end up with more :)

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Could be the broad iOS compatibility, too. Due to the fragmentation on the Android side, they’re only compatible with the very latest devices.

BTW, if you can hum, you can do this. :) My bad experience with music creation was because I didn’t know “what note goes next”. This lights up the notes so you can even hit random ones and you’re still on key.

The expense is related to how much you realize you don’t like using the phone. It goes like this.

You get the lightpad, you’re enjoying it, but don’t like the fact that you’ve got a good jam going then have to go back to your device to start recording, so you get the Loop block. Once your jamming like that, you find that you’d like to change the scale or chords, but again, you have to go to your device. So, you get the Live block to do that. Now ALL of your control is on the musical device... EXCEPT for when you want to record in a new Loop cell. So you buy a second lightpad to get that. Now, you’ve got all these lights and sounds in front of you and only go back to your device when you want to start a new song.

You really only NEED the lightpad if you want all the expressiveness, but you may find that once you get accustomed to it, you end up with more :)

I have a feeling that some expressiveness can be done via the Seaboard - 5 dimensions. It seems so natural although revolutionary as the electric keyboard, electric guitar digital drums and digital violin/bass/chelo all where when they all debuted.

I emplor anyone even curious to check out all the videos on their YouTube channel especially the Game of Thrones Theme video.

Most people with no musical notation training (gained from learning to play a traditional instrument) can only play by ear or usually create in wave forms. I learned saxophone and teaching myself guitar but I have trouble with Tabulation and wave forms. With Waves, at least for me, it’s difficult to see when a beat/note begins and ends it’s just reverb mess to my eyes but my ears can hear it distrinctively (usually) but it doesn’t match what I see on the computer. This I’m very curious to see this software and hardware works. The Noise software is free in App Store although limited gives you an idea. Their Q/A on Roli’s Site is helpful.

Comment

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 601
Jul 22, 2002
I have a feeling that some expressiveness can be done via the Seaboard - 5 dimensions.
Oh, I meant for this device specifically. You can absolutely get expressiveness from all their more expensive products, too.

In order of expressiveness in the NOISE app,
1. iPad- you can slide left to right and up/down, but no pressure.
2. iPhone- you can do the same as on the iPad with two levels of pressure sensitivity when press using 3D Touch.
3. Lightpad block- not sure how many more levels of expression you get, but definitely more than with the phone.

This version (lightpad M) even gets what appears to be the softer more sensitive surface of the Seaboards, so likely even MORE expression.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.