Roll My Own iPod Touch opus...?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by davwin, Apr 27, 2009.

1. davwin macrumors regular

My wife is interested in the iPod Touch now that she's seen the Opus version announcement. In her case she is a big fan of Prince and really wants a purple Touch like the Opus edition. She also has a B-Day coming up soon...

Now, I'm sure it's obvious but I cannot afford a limited edition iPod Opus so I'd like to see how close I can get to one and still keep costs reasonable. We are in the U.K. so I would need it shipped here or available in the U.K. (preferably). I'll worry about finding the "exclusive content" later ;) For now, I am only concerned with emulating the Opus Touch as closely as possible. It doesn't need to be exact or a fake and I think she'd like it even without the Prince symbol on the back so - I just want it close to the the look and everything of the Opus edition.

Any ideas? All I've found so far is Colorware - just about perfect but, still too expensive for me and a problem to get shipped to the U.K. Theres also the Touchlite case or maybe the iSkin Touch Vibes but, I am not sure if they add alot of weight or stick out from the iPod itself alot? Any help would be much appreciated.

For referrence: http://www.princeopus.com/

2. davwin thread starter macrumors regular

Well, in looking around so far the best option I can find in my price range is the iSkin Vibes. They are thin, don't add any perceptable weight or bulk to the iPod and I can get pretty close to the look of the Opus edition Touch. I think the Touchlite case is nice and its mettalic so better in that respect IMO but the colors aren't as close and its a noticable add-on to the Touch's weight and bulk.

Ideally I would just go with Colorware - does anyone know if they sell/ship to the UK? Any coupons for % off the costs (its damned expensive)? Anyone know where I could get the Prince symbol etched onto this iPod like the Opus edition? It would be cool and I think she'd like it even more with that on there but, pretty sure the Apple store engraving won't replicate that symbol...

3. ChristopheJD macrumors regular

If you are taking the Colorware option, I believe you can only be covered under Colorware's warranty, as Apple will not keep an active warranty on a colored iPod. You might want to email Colorware and ask if they can paint the symbol, but keep in mind, it may be rejected as it is copyrighted.

4. davwin thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, that does seem likely to get rejected <Sigh> not having much luck with this... :(

5. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Well if you can't do Colorware best bet is some sort of skin, or disassemble her Touch and see if you can find someone to powder coat the back casing.

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

or just give her the reg touch, wouldnt it be nice to do all that work and have her break it or something.

7. davwin thread starter macrumors regular

Heheh Just the thought of her accidentally/irresponsibly breaking this after all the effort it's taking is terrifying :)

8. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

oh man, I never even thought of that lol

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Tell her you love her and you're saving up for something better in the future.

10. davwin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions all: Decided to wait until I can afford the Colorware'd one or a real Opus (somehow). Would rather get her something else now and wait on the Touch than do a half-assed iPod. :)

11. ChristopheJD macrumors regular

If I still may have input, I do think she'll love the iPod touch either way. It's a great device, with a lot of fun apps that make up for it missing something on the outside.