Roll your Own DropBox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rmwebs, Aug 26, 2009.

1. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Hi all,

I'm a DropBox lover, and use it to store my university work, to share across from my iMac to MacBook Pro. However the 2GB limit is nearly eaten up, and I'm wanting to get my iTunes library in there as well.

The stupid thing is, I run a VPS hosting company, and have access to 10+ servers, with unmetered 100mbps connections, so have plenty of space.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a dropbox like piece of software, that allows you to use your own server. I would use FTP or WebDav, but its the syncing I want.

I did try an automator setup, that would get Transmit to sync files across if the folder was updated, but this was very cumbersome and would tend to overwrite directories completely.

Really just need a simple little app, just like DropBox, but with a 'custom server' option.

Thanks!

2. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

I've been playing with this idea a bit more and stumbled upon ifolder. Its server app is only for Suse Linux (with a client app for the Mac as well as Windows & Linux).

I'm going to see if I can get it to work on CentOS or another RedHat based Linux distro. I'll post if I find anything useful!

3. Mmarzex macrumors member

I doubt you are going to get it working on CentOS with out a hitch seeing as its a novell application.

4. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

I've managed to get the 'admin' area working, however the client area dies with errors :/

I've seen it working on Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora, however only on very old versions.

Looks like I'll need to keep looking :(